Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Share on this subject: poetry

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:44 AM
  • 2 Replies
Are you using a specific book for poetry?

Are you studying a specific writer?

How do you do poetry in your homeschool?

What age is your child(ren)?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:45 AM
We are using the book favorite poems old and new, because it goes along with our science curriculum as well. We also have a book by Robert Louis Stevenson because we will be specifically studying his work. My daughter is 6.

Other than reading the poems, possibly copying the poem, I'm not sure how else to "do poetry".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swim-mom72
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 9:27 AM

We also have Fav Poems Old and New. My 6th grader is still wotking with it. My 9th grader is using A Treasury of Poetry for Young People. It has background info on all of the authors and tid bits about most of the poems, like why the author wrote it and such.

My 6th grader uses Queens Language Lessons, and poetry study is built into their course. They cover many different styles of poetry like lymeric, hyku, etc.. So, I only have him read for me 2 days a week. Both of my boys are required to stand up, no fidgeting, and read the poetry aloud.

Other than reading, copying and discussing the poem? We annalize them, memorize some, type them sometimes, and even write our own. My guys are required to memorize 2 or 3 longer poems a year and recite them in front of the whole family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)