Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Math curriculum.

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 9:51 PM
  • 6 Replies

Does any one know of a good math curriculum for a 5th grader who  seems to pick up math pretty quick.  I got ours today in the mail and am rethinking it.  I was looking for something that does'nt use the spiral method, and while the one I got is this way, it gives you no instructions or lessons on how to teach it.  I  have to wait until 6th grade to get the DVD module in this program and the book for the 5th grade just isn't what I thought it would be.  

by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 10:23 PM
What program did you get? My daughter loved Math Steps but I couldn't find the fifth grade one so I'm using scott foreman, i think, its okay. And someone linked where you can look at it/ print it free.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
noraa21
by Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Quoting Silverkitty:

What program did you get? My daughter loved Math Steps but I couldn't find the fifth grade one so I'm using scott foreman, i think, its okay. And someone linked where you can look at it/ print it free.

I got a book called Practical Arithmetics, from the Systematic mathematics program.  It m ight be good as a supplement or during the summer but not for the whole year.  

I was also looking at maybe math u see as it uses the mastery approach, but didn't want to spend all the money if it's no good.  My DS can look at something once or twice and memorize it so I wanted something he has to think about. 

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 11:10 PM
I've heard good things about math u see and teaching text books, thinking of trying TT for 6th grade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 11:11 PM

We are about to start Math U See. It looks amazing. I returned our Saxon Math because I didn't like the way it looked.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? 

"Oppression of spirit is not on the public school curriculum. Rather, it's a noxious by-product produced while stewing schooling in a pot w/ unions, administrators, multi-billion dollar budgets, state education departments, and school boards, then letting politicians control the heat." Linda Dobson

"When you want to teach children to think, you begin by treating them seriously when they are little, giving them responsibilities, talking to them candidly, providing privacy and solitude for them, and making them readers and thinkers of significant thoughts from the beginning. That's *if* you want to teach them to think." ~ Bertrand Russell

AAfterSearch
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 4:09 AM

I use Tutorteddy math curriculum for my daughter. It is very good, reusable and inexpensive. 

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I (we) love Math-u-See.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)