Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you have a household schedule?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 8:56 AM
  • 20 Replies
Do you schedule what day you do laundry, vacuum, etc? What about a meal schedule, like where you have meatless monday, taco Tuesday, etc?

I'm thinking if I made myself a schedule, it might make things run smoother as we start school next week, and I might not have a disaster of a house!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carolkey74
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I am a scheduler...if I don't schedule, I don't get a thing done...

My kids have their daily chores (straighten rooms, clean bathroom counter, take out trash, empty dishwasher, sort laundry) that they do every morning before school.  It seems to wake them up, and they have more energy for school.

As far as meal planning, have you ever heard of emealz.com?  It's a meal planning subscription.  It's $15 for three months, but it is soooo worth it!  They plan 7 dinners every week, and include a shopping list for the store you choose, including the prices.  It has dropped my grocery bill by quite a lot.  I print off my list every Thursday, and include it with my breakfast/lunch items.  I love it!

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2011 at 11:53 AM
I'm working on it. I found a dry-erase schedule board that I'm thinking of getting us. Maybe we would get more chores done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 25, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I actually found an awesome app for my ipad/ipod/iphone (whichever one might have). It is called "Paprika" and it is an AMAZING meal planner. You put in recipes, or can import them from the internet.  In the recipe, you can add ingredients to your grocery list, and not check the ones you already have.  And, you can schedule your breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks.  I am seriously excited about this app!  I just got it yesterday and haven't had much time to play, but it will be on my weekend list!

As far as cleaning, I'm still debating on how to do that.  Right now we do laundry on Fridays, and try to have it all folded/put away by Sunday.  It's nice to not have to think about it all week.  As far as everything else, I just do it "whenever" which sometimes means... not for a long time!  I have been trying to do dishes once a day, while cooking dinner and it has been a tremendous help.  I feel like I am cleaning all day as it is now, it's definitely a challenge with two young ones.

hlbhembree
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 3:53 PM

I have three kids undrer 5 so everything is my job for the most part.  In the mornings I get everyone fed and dressed.  Then we go run errands we have one for each day of the week (Monday-Grocery Store, Tuesday-PT, OT, and Speech, Wednesday-Outing With Dad b/c He is off work, Thursday-Library, Friday-Department Store).  Then it is back home to teach chore time which takes longer to do than actually doing the chores my self but it will pay off eventually.  They put away toys, collect their laundry, and "make" their beds.  After that I take a while to start laundry and starighten my room.  By then it is lunch time then the youngest has nap time.  During her nap it is time for school for the older two kids.  We do phonics and math first so that it is out of the way for when the baby gets up from nap.  Then we finish up school with the elective more fun stuff like science experiments, music, art projects, baking, etc.   After that it is clean up time and then recess outside.  Then they are aloud to play independently or watch TV while I switch laundry, clean the bathrooms, vaccum, dust, etc. (all on an as needed basis) and make diner.  I do a weekly meal plan and shoping list and I have quite a few saved on my computer so that I can print one quickly and know what to make each night.   After diner is their time with dad so that I can tidy up the kitchen and finish up the load of laundry from the day.  Then it is baths, story time, and bed time by 8pm.  I try to be finished when they go to bed so that I can rest and have some adult time with my DH.  Anything that I don't get to do one day I try to start with the next day so that the house stays pretty clean.  Saturdays I do fun outings like the Mall, Zoo, Museum, Park, or whatever then we come home and I catch up on chores and prepare for the next weeks lesson plan.  Sundays we have church and then we spend time as a family playing games and watching movies.

Gumberly
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 9:24 PM

I NEEEEEEEED a schedule for school or I honestly cant function however, the rest of my life is not scheduled. I have tried but it tends to lead to me feeling pressured and stressed out to 1) form the schedule and  2) fallow it.

sew4fun
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 10:01 PM

No once again this is something I need to do but do not. I really feel like I have alot that I should do but can not find time or energy to do it all.

fygfitness_mom
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 10:53 PM

For the most part I schedule everything. Everyone in the family has chores they do everyday, some they do weekly and some monthly. We all have scheduled laundry days and linens get done on Sunday. My girls rotate chores on a weekly basis.

Our school schedule is done weekly and revolves around their sports due to the fact that their schedules fluctuate. We also schedule school around my husband's schedule so that factors in. I plan menus each week which include breakfast, snacks, lunch, dinner and desserts. Even our menu revolves around where we will be when a certain meal takes place. My little one spends most of her evenings at the studio she dances at so her meals are planned for easy on-the-go healthy meals. My eldest swims so her breakfast is usually a quick but nutrition loaded one. Etc...

Sunday is my planner day. It is the day we try very hard to stay home for the entire day because all our heavy cleaning and weekly preparation is done on this day along with all the linens in the house.

We use Google calendar for our main family calendar as we can all look at it on our phones and update it as we need to.

mommyto2gr8ones
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Schedule??  What's that??  LOL  Really, we don't have one for anything.  I hope you can find one that works for you though!!

wright1212
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 10:12 AM

We have so many appt during the week I dont have much choice. BUT most things are just taken them as they come. I pick up everyday, laundry everyday. I pick up bedrooms when I can. I plan my meals a week at a time, but never more. BECAUSE I buy clearance meat only and whenever I see it. So I can only plan around what is in my freezer. I try to do more detail cleaning on weekends. My new rule is invite someone over every other week at least so I am forced to do deeper cleaning (windows ect). Kids dont have specific assigned chores its do it as we see it. With 2 boys randomly destroyed things I can schedule around which room they will trash next. Yesterday it was powered chocolate over the kitchen so I had to mop. Last night I needed to find an old bill so it was the mountain of paper in my room. (that mountain never goes away no matter how much I clean it).

With all that hap-hazardnous. We still have pretty regular routines, DD watches learning things (spanish, science ect) on computer while I do breakfast, then down for BYCR and workboxes, then reading, then more work then upstairs for lunch, nap, and cleaning. OH and I honestly couldnt survive without a planner or a todo list.

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

Liansmommie
by on Aug. 28, 2011 at 3:45 AM

I have to have schedule or nothing gets done. I never keep to it but at least I know what I should be doing when.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN