Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

helping others, in too deep??

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 2:08 PM
  • 10 Replies

I just joined a coop. One mom I have met before has a 7yo. She is blind so lots of things are a challenge, but she is so positive and motivated. BUT her 2nd grade son is not reading. We decided to change one of our coop classes so I can tutor him and provide direct social skill practice for my ASD son. I tested her son today to know where to start and he only knew half his letters. I am so worried that she wont be able to teach him, but really have nothing I can do about it except teach him the best I can the 45min I am with him. I gave him homework to write each letter and draw it into a monster. Next week I will have him tell me a word that starts with each letter. I just dont know what else to do. AND my own belief that 'not everyone should homeschool' is weighing heavy on me. She says he has aspergers, but with my son having lower autism and my training in autism, I can tell he does NOT have it. I just dont know what else to do.   Has anyone else had these personal ethical diliemas before??

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hlbhembree
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 3:13 PM

I am not sure what to do about that particular situation.  However, I will say that my little boy has Asperger's and I have had many people look at him for a short while and wrongly decided that he does not have it despite having two seperate evaluations diagnose him so I would encourage you to take more time to evealuate that situation.  My son is 5 and he went to public school for two years and still only knows the five letters in his first name but half the time he can't recall their names or thier sounds so I would also not blame that on her inability to teach him.  Some kids just take a little longer to grasp things.  That being said I don't know how here blindness is impacting the situation either.  Is the father sighted can he help with grading and some of the more visual aspects?  Good Luck!!!

wright1212
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 8:45 AM

She is a single mom, she is support through SSI alone. The reason I dont see aspg. is having been around many kids with it and read countless materials on how to see it. He played with my DD wonderfully, full conversations, putting on shows, listening, pretending, singing and all. I also asked her how and when he got dx. She has taken him to 6 different docs (in different fields) to have him asssesed. Only 1 of 6 said asp, 2 or 3 docs said nothing just avg (but maybe adhd or slower to learn but not MR). It seems she just went with what she wanted to hear KWIM? I asked her if she has seen a really great doc in our town, NOPE. I do totally see signs of ADHD, I can only imagine how hard it is for her to keep him on task. Plus being a 2nd grader with homeschooling for over 3 years it is worrisome to not know his letters. Im going to do the best I can, maybe find some college students that want experience to tutor him too.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Can you check resources available through the county? As she is blind, there should be free support services for her son. It costs you nothing but a little time to call and check. We have an Agency for the Blind here, amongst other programs, that help people just like her. CPS is not just for reporting abuse; you can call them and find out where to seek services for your friend.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2011 at 1:40 PM

I don't know much about Autism or Asperger's.  I've only taught 2 autistic students, and neither of them were full time in the regular classroom.  Some studenst just need repetition and different methods.  ADHD students are also often kinesthetic or tactile learners who learn best through movement (making the letters with their bodies or sign spelling), or tactile (writing with fingers in sand or shaving cream).  He might also practice finger writing the letters in his mom's hand.

hlbhembree
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I agree if he is able to participate in all of those activities normally then he is probably not on the spectrum especially if there are so many conflicting dx from the doctors.  I like the idea of having him write in her hand however, I am curious about her skills.  I have a friend that dated a blind person and so I discussed this post with her yesterday and she said she agrees with you that it may not be feasable for her to teach him everything that he needs to learn.  Her friend has been blind since birth and does not write and has a lot of dexterity issues.  He was only taught to use a computer for writen communication the only thing he actually writes is his signature.  I guess it just depends on how long she has been blind and what skills she is lacking and whether or not she can find enough support for them to be sucessful.

I am curious....What state are you located in?  Are there requirments for testing and things?

mamaof2n1angel
by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Coming from another 'blind ' parent i am  legally blind and i  homeschool my  kids... There is help out there  if she  would  ask for it.. I have to agree  it is a chanellge to get places and that.. have  her son try  www.starfall.com IF she  has access to online.. if she  knows braille she can teach  him  through brielle  the letters.. she can read to himas well through breille too.. and  yes  there is  again help to  teach and i am glas you  are helpig her.. 

wright1212
by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Thank you all so much for the open conversation. (doesnt it seem hard to find nice board with no bashing). I am looking hard for a few toys I can get him (birthday present) that will help and give him homework that will make him work good. And its not her blindness alone that worries me. She can see if she holds it right to her face, she has very limited access online due to vision. But being a single very young mom, only her mom helps her a little. She gets rides from so many people just to get him to therapy ect. It is a great quality that she has no fear of asking either. I am hoping that I will see the path once I get to know them ever more and work with him for a couple of months. Plus I am going to ask some college students who might like to tutor for free to gain experience. Thanks again for all the feedback it really helps.

lakissakay
by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 9:30 PM

I don't have much more to add, but I just wanted to say I think it's really great of you to be so concerned :) I'm glad this family has you to help them.

mamaof2n1angel
by on Aug. 28, 2011 at 11:36 AM

here is  a site i  pulled for you to read. It is about a texas  blind mother  wanting to  homeschool her daughter.. http://www.homeschool-curriculum-savings.com/blind-mother-wants-to-homeschool-her-daughter.html

oredeb
by on Aug. 29, 2011 at 11:36 PM

sometimes boys take a bit longer to pick up reading(my son was 8), just having you being there helping him learn will help, being consistant even if it doesnt seem like its working, your a good friend

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN