Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I will not be celebrating the homeschooling holiday (PIOG)

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 9:19 PM
  • 16 Replies

The other day as my husband and I were  browsing the school supply sales something hit me. In our country back to school is celebrated like a national holiday. Parents rejoice at the moment when they can finally be rid of their children again and resume their "normal" lives. If you are in the store with your children 9 times out of 10 the clerk checking you out will ask, with a warm smile on their face, "excited for back to school" or "bet you cant wait for school to start." Commercials drive home the joy of back to school, showing parents dancing through the store throwing supplies in their cart while their children fallow with down cast looks.

Well I am not celebrating this holiday. I find no joy in sending my children away for 10 hours a day.  I find joy in watching my kids play nicely together. I find joy in knowing that they will continue to blossom and grow. I love the time I have with them and know its brief and I am lucky to have every second of it.

So to the clerk who asks with joy if I am happy "yes, yes I am because all those kids in school means less crowds for me"

by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sew4fun
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 10:07 PM

This is great !

mommyto2gr8ones
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 11:50 PM

I've never really thought of it that way but you are right!!  It is like a holiday, sales and all!!  I used to cringe when someone asks my kids are they excited about going back to school b/c I'm just waiting for all kinds of judgement to come out of their mouths but now I'm excited to say that we homeschool and if the judgement comes then let it.  I don't care what anyone thinks, I get the privledge of spending all day w/my kids and that is a beautiful thing, even if I don't see it that way every day, lol.  :)

noraa21
by Member on Aug. 26, 2011 at 12:03 AM

This is our first year of homeschooling and the other day when we went to stock up on notebooks, (DS finds many uses for them besides writing), the clerk asked him if he was getting excited for school to start.  He looked at her kind of funny and said I am going to be homeschooled, she said oh well aren't you going to miss going to school, he looks at her and says no not really, would you miss being bullied or having to do stupid work you already know how to do, that shut her up. I can't wait to start homeschooling, I think we will both be the better for it.

carolkey74
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 8:21 AM
This made me tear up...I completely agree with you! Until we started homeschooling last year, I hated back to school time! I have never understood parents who can't wait to pack their kids off. I had a friend tell me one time several years ago that she had to have her "me" time. That's why she loved seeing the school year begin. We all need "me" time, but 8-10 hours a day??? I thank God for every minute I get with my kids. Thank you so much for posting this!
Lynette
by Member on Aug. 26, 2011 at 8:44 AM

we celebrate it every yr.  The first day of public school we go do something something special for NOT back to school day!  Usually it's something like going a place that normally would be crowded during the day if the school kids were out.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2011 at 11:59 AM

DP and I were talking about this last week. We will be celebrating the empty toddler playground where the big kids come and intimidate the little kids off the equipment during the summer. We will celebrate the easy trips to the grocery store, the toy store, the mall, the museums, and Target. Mostly, we will celebrate the post-shopping season sales. Come next month, I can get the pricier markers and things even cheaper. I can afford to wait to buy supplies, because I'm not on someone else's deadline. Woohoo!

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2011 at 1:31 PM

I love that!   "yes, yes I am because all those kids in school means less crowds for me"

Maridel
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 8:25 PM

ITA! I've had so many friends tell me I'm crazy they need their "me" time too. My Godmother told my mom the other day that she didnt think my homeschooling was a good idea that it would be "too hard" on me. Who told the world having your kids around too much is too hard? I mean really? I'm always worried my daughter will want to go to school the more people ask her if she is excited for back to school. WHy ask kids that anyway? Most kids I know that go to school say "ugh don't talk about it" when they get asked if they are excited for back to school.

misselphaba
by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Well...I celebrate glue sticks and paper for a penny! 

But I really do hate hearing about how happy people are to be rid of their kids.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2011 at 9:25 AM

I have said that for yrs.  We can go do things without all the crowds!!  I do love the sales as you can get supplies so cheap. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN