Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I will not be celebrating the homeschooling holiday (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

The other day as my husband and I were  browsing the school supply sales something hit me. In our country back to school is celebrated like a national holiday. Parents rejoice at the moment when they can finally be rid of their children again and resume their "normal" lives. If you are in the store with your children 9 times out of 10 the clerk checking you out will ask, with a warm smile on their face, "excited for back to school" or "bet you cant wait for school to start." Commercials drive home the joy of back to school, showing parents dancing through the store throwing supplies in their cart while their children fallow with down cast looks.

Well I am not celebrating this holiday. I find no joy in sending my children away for 10 hours a day.  I find joy in watching my kids play nicely together. I find joy in knowing that they will continue to blossom and grow. I love the time I have with them and know its brief and I am lucky to have every second of it.

So to the clerk who asks with joy if I am happy "yes, yes I am because all those kids in school means less crowds for me"

by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 9:19 PM
Replies (11-16):
AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2011 at 12:15 PM

love it

hlbhembree
by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 2:40 PM

I couldn't agree more!  For all those people who shake theier heads at me for taking on homeschool I just tell them that the two things that I wanted to do with my life was to be a homemaking momma and to teach and this way I get the best of both worlds.  I was an only child so I spent a lot of time playing alone so I would line up all my dolls and stuffed animals and teach them school or play house I could have done that all day everyday and now I get to for real.  I love it and I wouldn't trade that for all the "me" time in the world!

hlbhembree
by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Quoting misselphaba:

Well...I celebrate glue sticks and paper for a penny! 

But I really do hate hearing about how happy people are to be rid of their kids.

I LOVE PENNY SALES!!

katzmeow726
by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Exactly!  I get to do two things I love...not many women get to do what we do.  I am so glad we will be homeschooling!

Quoting hlbhembree:

I couldn't agree more!  For all those people who shake theier heads at me for taking on homeschool I just tell them that the two things that I wanted to do with my life was to be a homemaking momma and to teach and this way I get the best of both worlds.  I was an only child so I spent a lot of time playing alone so I would line up all my dolls and stuffed animals and teach them school or play house I could have done that all day everyday and now I get to for real.  I love it and I wouldn't trade that for all the "me" time in the world!

SouthernMama08
by on Aug. 28, 2011 at 9:10 PM

I feel the same way.  In fact, I just told some body the other day "I'm so HAPPY when the rest of the world goes back to school!"

noraa21
by Member on Aug. 28, 2011 at 9:58 PM

This is what I don't get, today at church our pastor asked how many were glad school was starting next week, he then says we have three that will be starting like he was so excited to get rid of his kids.  His sis-in-law who is a high schooler said I start in 3 days and he said you do school at home that doesn't count if you school at home!

This will be our first year of HS, but when DS was going to school I was more excited for vacations and him to get home so I could find out how his day was and what not, then having him go to school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN