Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spiral vs. Mastery

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 9:47 PM
  • 3 Replies

We are just getting started with Kindergarten and I see a lot of posts about Math Spiral vs. Mastery. What do those terms mean? Whats the difference, pros and cons? THanks!

by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
noraa21
by Member on Aug. 26, 2011 at 9:59 PM

From my understanding and I may be totally off here, the spiral method the kids learn a new topic for maybe a week, then go on to something else for a week or so, the on to something else, then the first topic comes around again.  With the mastery method they may spend a week to a month or more on the topic until they have it down pat, at least that is how my DS teacher explained it last year to me, but then I don't put much faith in the PS anymore either.

MommaTasha1003
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Noraa said it.

Spiral: Is what most of us know in PS. You learn a little bit at a time, building on each. First you learn how to small numbers, then repeating with larger numbers.

Mastery: You learn as much as you can possible at one time. You learn to add numbers (1+1 all the way up until you understand how to add the large numbers) once you understand this you move onto subtraction & stick to it until you can subtract any 2 numbers. then you move onto multiplication.. and so on.

Danielle163
by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Saxon math is spiral--they throw in a few problems  to review what you have already worked on while you work on something new.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)