Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Starting early

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 7:50 AM
  • 2 Replies

My son is 3 years old and I'd like to start having a more structured day for him. His attention span is pretty good but only when he finds something interesting to occupy himself. It's not easy to do activities with him that include working with books and such. And he's not very much into using markers and/or pencil. He usually wants to get a marker and paint the wall (thank goodness for washable paints!). How am i supposed to get him more interested and make it fun for him so i can get him involved? By the way, he does like flash cards alot; he actually knows the alphabet and can spell words. Did anyone else start homeschooling at this age? Any suggestions?

by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 7:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Danielle163
by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 9:17 AM

If I had decided to homeschool DD when she was younger,  I probably would have started at 3. (She's now 8 1/2) At age three she was on the computer playing educational games! Knowing what I know now, I would have went & bought Rebecca Rupp's book Home Learning Year by Year--How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School. Its a wonderful book. It gives all kinds of great tips, book titles (living books--I call them target books, pertaining to certain subjects that help teach while reading) and guidelines to what your child should be learning and when.  It lists some great books for preschool like Math Play!,Science Play!, ABC Drive!: A Car Trip Alphabet, Everybody Has a Body: Science from Head to Toe,etc. It gets more in depth for Kindergarten, but its only guide. And Rupp makes that clear that every child is different and moves along at their own speed for the most part. There are so many ways to make homeschooling fun at age 3. One of the books listed that sounded very cool was The Complete Resource Book: An Early Childhood Curriculum with Over 2000 Activities and Ideas. Plus tons of reading to him. Good luck!

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2011 at 9:21 AM

He is only 3 so please don't push him.  He will learn ALL he needs just through being with you, playing, coloring, puzzles, educational type games, etc..   I never started "schooling" any of my children until apx. age 6.  If you push you could turn him off. Children naturally love to learn and will do great if you just expose him to these things.  All 15 of mine and my hubby's children were home educated.   All have graduated now except for my youngest. She is now 13.   I very highly recommend two books by Raymond and Dorothy Moore.  Generally you can get them used off Amazon.  The books are;  The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook  and Better Late Than Early.   These people have been home educating advocates since the 70's.  They have tested many, many home educated and public schooled kids.  They have proven that early schooling doesn't help and may hinder the children.  Just enjoy your little one and teach him through life :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN