Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Math curriculum for Asperger's

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 9:11 AM
  • 2 Replies

My son Nathan is 10, and was diagnosed as ADHD and Asperger's when he was 8.  He is great a grammar, and loves science and history.  He despises math.  Asperger's and ADHD effect working memory, so Nathan has a double whammy...He can't remember the steps involved in division, and word problems are torture!  Does anyone have any suggestions for a math curriculum for Autism spectrum?  Thanks!

Mom of Laura-my 13 going on 30 angel, and 10 year old Nathan, the happiest kid in the world who happens to have Asperger's.

by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Danielle163
by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 10:23 AM

My DD is 8 1/2 and is on the spectrum. I've noticed that her anxiety has gotten worse and I am wondering how she is going to do in school this year. I ordered Teaching Textbooks and Singapore math. I had heard such good things about both and couldn't decide.  TT is on CDroms. DD loves the computer and remembers things much easier if it resembles a game. I got the S. because we are weak in measurement and DD likes review so I'm going to mix them. Sorry I'm not more help.

wright1212
by on Aug. 27, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Im going to take a guess for an idea to try. Think real adult skills. Lets assume the worst, that is never going to be great at math. In that case what skills would he need to have a good job (that doesnt involve lots of math). You've got balancing check books and money, some computer programming skills (I assume all adults will need to know that stuff 20yrs from now). Health and medical info stuff. OK, now go with what interest him most. Can you create try to life math problems using this info? My DD constantly ask stuff like how tall do I need to be to ride in front seat or how old will DS be when I am 16. So I help her work out the math using the numbers we have. ALSO could you do allowance with a bank account, if a local bank wont work with small amounts then do Bank of MOM. He has to write checks for video time, make deposits for chores and show you his balanced checkbook??? Just trying to think out of box for ideas. I do know with ADHD you want to keep it short and simple he will drift away with countless drill/practice worksheets.

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)