Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

A week in, and already too easy

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2011 at 9:01 PM
  • 5 Replies

I like to say that I've been homeschooling since the day my son came home.  This year, I wanted a little more structure to our homeschool.  Well, we've been at it a week, and already my son is bored.  Not with learning, but he wants to go FASTER!  I thought it would be great to review the ABCs and such, and he wants no part of it.  After 3 days on A, he was asking "for B already".  LOL.

He's 3.5 years, and he is already reading.  And he's writing.  His name, my name, and about 20 words on his own.  Then he'll ask me how to spell the rest.  (Today he wrote a song in my notebook while we were grocery shopping).  So I get it, review is good, but he's ready for more. Which is find, I wrote my lesson plans in pencil!! 

We are a child-led family, so since he seems to be really interested in arts and crafts, I know I'll be adding a lot more of that into our week.  I just never thought he would be leading me so fast!

Any suggestions on some fun things to add to our days?

I should add that he can count to 40, do simple addition, draws circles, squares, triangles, rectangles, and stars.  Knows those shapes plus oval, sphere, cube, and octogon (and I'm sure more I can't remember).  Knows blue, red, green, purple, pink, black, white, gold, silver, chrome, orange, yellow, and all the colors in the crayon box (since he can read the colors).  I'm thinking we should be moving on to kindergarten level work, but I have no idea where to start!  Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Loving wife ...Proud Homeschooling Mama ...TTC#2 ...BLOGGING it all on the way...Follow me at Throwing Marshmallows

by on Aug. 28, 2011 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
carolkey74
by on Aug. 29, 2011 at 2:10 PM
Congrats on what sounds like a very well rounded, happy child! In my opinion, let him work on whatever level he can. Get inexpensive workbooks, starting with K, and let him move at his pace. Learning should happen when the kids are ready, not when "experts" say so. Let him go, and have fun with it! Good luck!
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2011 at 2:44 PM

I agree with this. Also, I would start him memorizing and writing his address, phone number, grandma's house and your name, too. Get a simple map and talk about what state you live in. 8)

Quoting carolkey74:

Congrats on what sounds like a very well rounded, happy child! In my opinion, let him work on whatever level he can. Get inexpensive workbooks, starting with K, and let him move at his pace. Learning should happen when the kids are ready, not when "experts" say so. Let him go, and have fun with it! Good luck!

CafeMom Tickers

Danielle163
by on Aug. 29, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year-How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum From Preschool Through High School

Jlee4249
by Member on Aug. 29, 2011 at 8:03 PM
Money, time, calendar days... From the sound of it, I'm sure he's willing to learn about anything! He's a sponge, in the best way!
oredeb
by on Aug. 29, 2011 at 11:14 PM

since he draws circles and such what about using those books that use those shapes to learn to draw?

how bout some hammer and nails to pound with

nature study? go looking for bugs! catch some in a jar!

go fishing

treasure hunt

board games

musical instrument

bounce a ball

learn baseball

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN