Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Muzzy

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2011 at 9:57 PM
  • 9 Replies

Has anyone used Muzzy for foreign language? Likes and Dislikes? Does anyone know how it compares with Rosetta Stone?

by on Aug. 28, 2011 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Haven't used it but other reviews have said that it's hard to understand.

http://homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/curriculum/reviews.aspx?id=160

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2011 at 12:25 AM
I got it at the library and it wa very boring. My daughter was not interested at all. I love my rosetta stone though :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bugfree
by on Aug. 29, 2011 at 12:33 AM

I tried Muzzy several years ago and didn't care for it.  :-(  My kids just didn't care for it. 

CoSaWy
by on Aug. 29, 2011 at 1:04 AM
We are using Rosetta stone and love it....we have never tried muzzy
peanut06
by on Aug. 29, 2011 at 9:34 AM

I prefer Little Pim (from the people who make Pimsleur for adults).  Check it out from your library first, and also browse their website.  DD just turned 3 and she's okay with the videos and will repeat the words if I say them first.  We're doing Spanish about twice a week for now.  She knows rojo and can count to 7 so far.

Maridel
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 11:32 PM

OH yea I love the little pim videos from the library =)

sweetserenit292
by Member on Sep. 3, 2011 at 9:50 AM

I have both and can say that ...

Muzzy :  My kids like because of the monster and will ask to see the video again and again and I am     not sure why.    My husband has watched Muzzy and as far as numbers, colors and shapes it's very accurate but the rest of the dialouge doesn't match up with how people actually  say it in native tongue.  I wouldn't waste money on it.  If you do go with this one,  look on ebay it is much cheaper that route.

Rosetta Stone: In my opinion, is a Great program becuase the language is what is spoken and how it is spoken.  Example my husband who's first language is Spanish has said that 99 percent of Rosetta Stone is how he actually speaks the language.  He says there are very very few things that may differ in how he would say something but it could depend on the region you were raised.  Like northers here say pop and other people say soda or some people say supper vs dinner.  

That being said I think Rosetta Stone is geared toward the 3rd grade and up because of the pace.  I don't think my 4 yr old would do well with it at his age. 

I myself have taken many Spanish courses.  I can honestly say that without a doubt Rosetta Stone makes the most sense and I actually remember and retain more than I ever did with the college approach.

I have heard good things about Speekee...but I haven't actually tried it yet. Might be something that I look into though in the next year for the little ones.

Bevy445
by on Sep. 3, 2011 at 10:10 AM
How expensive is rosetta stone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetserenit292
by Member on Sep. 4, 2011 at 10:46 AM

It's pretty pricey.  I caught a sale and it was 450.  I didn't get the homeschool version because I had read that there were some kinks in the record keeping software.  I called them directly and they put me on a payment plan for 5 months at about 100 a month.  Honestly though, I would have saved tons if I would have gone with this program first.  I had tried several and college courses too but R.S.  is true to it's word. 

They don't advertise a  payment plan for the non homeschooled version.  I think they say 3 installments for the non homeschooled vs but when you call them they will give you a better option. 

Once again, if this is being used for K - 3rd it might be a little much as far as pace and information.  But, that is just my opinion.

edited to add that I got levels 1-5  and that is why the price was high.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN