Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Uggg I am so scared I am going to fail again !

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2011 at 10:25 PM
  • 7 Replies

Last year I tried to homeschool when she had just turned 4 , and it did not go well at all ! I would spend hours getting things ready for her and then she would do it in 5 mins but not remember what she did. Then all kinds of things happened and we just quit doing it. Now this year she will be 5 and there will not be any quiting! Come hell or high water we will do school all year . But I am scared I will fail her again . I have no clue what to do .

by on Aug. 29, 2011 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
oredeb
by debbie on Aug. 29, 2011 at 11:09 PM

sew4fun, you dont need to do anything elaborate! start out simple! and you are going to do it this year ! simple!! count bugs for math! dance sing laugh color! cut paste paint read to her , to see if shes ready for phonics sound out her name and see if she interested! and it only takes about a couple hours at the most a day for that young. i read a whole bunch of posts on here that gave you ideas so maybe reread them!!! its ok she doesnt remember, repeat it the next day, shes learning so are you, she will pick it up! have fun!

i know you can do it!!!when are you starting?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Have you determined what kind of learner she is? My son and I had a horrible time until I figured out he was a kinetic learner.

mommyto2gr8ones
by on Aug. 30, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Keep in mind that although it may not seem that she is learning, she more than likely is.  Relax w/it, she's only 5, it's not like she is starting college next week.  You will do great, just try not to stress about it or make it into some day long thing.  Make everything into a learning experience b/c she can learn from everything, it doesn't all have to be formal.  Also, you can certainly vent any and all frustrations here, we are here for support!! 

sew4fun
by on Aug. 30, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Thank you ladies! I think I am just nervous. I am not sure what kind of learner she is but she does best with hands on things, so we try to do alot of art and crafts. We are trying to move right now so I was planning on starting once we get in the new house so it may not be untill around the 19th or so. I think my biggest issue is I see alot of things that I would like to do but may not be able to carry them out. or at least that is my fear LOL.

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2011 at 3:40 PM

mem82 is so right about understanding her learning style.  We all want to teach the way we learn best, but that may not even communicate to the child if they are different from us.

Here is an article with videos that will help you decide which personality she is.  It also gives links where you can find resources geared to her learning style.

Choosing The Right Curriculum For Your Child

Once you gear your lesson plans to her learning style, it becomes amazingly easy, and fun too. 

oredeb
by debbie on Aug. 30, 2011 at 4:35 PM

sew, what i do is write them down in my lesson plan book for things i want to do, so i can remember them, i know theres lots of stuff i would like to do with my unit studies but i cant! it would be to much and a mess! so i just write it down, and some of those things i use later when they apply to lesson,

debbie

HomeSchooling! http://homemade-school.blogspot.com/ Cooking! http://mykitchen-deb.blogspot.com/ Gardening! http://mygardenofweeds.blogspot.com/

Quoting sew4fun:

Thank you ladies! I think I am just nervous. I am not sure what kind of learner she is but she does best with hands on things, so we try to do alot of art and crafts. We are trying to move right now so I was planning on starting once we get in the new house so it may not be untill around the 19th or so. I think my biggest issue is I see alot of things that I would like to do but may not be able to carry them out. or at least that is my fear LOL.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2011 at 7:02 PM

I always get hung up on all the great ideas there are there to try. 8) Sometimes, I get so mad that a season or lesson passes and I didn't get to all the fun things I wanted to cover.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)