Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

10th grade Lifepac curriculum-thoughts???

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2011 at 10:59 AM
  • 9 Replies

I was set on Abeka for my 10th grader, but it's so expensive! I was recently told that Lifepac is very comparible to Abeka. Aside from reading reviews I know nothing about it. Thoughts?

Also considered ATI-anyone have past experiences with this curriculum?

by on Aug. 30, 2011 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
oredeb
by on Aug. 30, 2011 at 11:17 AM

what is ati?

yes i agree abeka is expensive! what about used abeka?? have you tried that?

lifepacs are kinda borning if you dont like workbook style learning, ive tried some of them, we learned from them but doing workbooks all the time just wasnt for us. but with an older student it might work! very informative, i think the new ones even have colored pictures!

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I don't think they are comparible.  I love ABeka and as for our family we didn't care for Lifepacs at all.  ABeka is not expensive if you just get the textbook and teacher's manual (only if you really need it).  I don't buy anything else.  I also bought used if possible.

txmom24girls
by on Aug. 30, 2011 at 12:28 PM

ATI-Advanced Training Institute International

I've looked at used Abeka curriculum on ebay, but I don't know enough about it to compare. It looked like some of the curriculum was older-the covers looked different than the curriculum on the Abeka website. I'm not confident enough in homeschooling yet and I want to make sure I'm getting the right thing. I've looked at the Abeka kits that are $650-I'm not sure what items are not really necessary???

carolkey74
by on Aug. 30, 2011 at 2:08 PM
I just got the Lifepac Health curriculum in the mail today. My daughter is in the ninth grade. It looks pretty good, but I don't think she would like it for all subjects. I got my curriculum for both kids (grades 5 and 9) off of eBay. I spent around $250. The only thing I bought separately was her algebra 1 book. She's using Algebra 1 A Fresh Approach. I really recommend it!
tmgonz
by Member on Aug. 30, 2011 at 11:15 PM

We just started my daughter in 10th grade we are using Apologia Chemistry $65 Saxon Algebra 2 With teacher cd $90 Abeka History Used check Ebay and any home school book stores You do not really need the tests just the student and teacher book Abeka grammar,spelling and literature check Ebay and local home school bookstores for used books. Also look it up on the abeka website and compare the covers on the books to make sure you get the new edition. We got all of her curriculum for about $250 hope this helps.

txmom24girls
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Thank you for the reply! Do you not need the test because they don't have to take them or do you come up with your own? I've done the comparison of covers from the Abeka website and Ebay and what I've found are not the same.

tmgonz
by Member on Aug. 31, 2011 at 10:34 AM

The math came with test and we are going to use those. Wegot the Saxon algebra 2 from christian books.com and my daughter has found the teacher cd very helpful. The Apologia chemistry came with test and we will use those.  The Abeka books have a lot of review so I am not using the test on any of them.  My suggestion is buy the student and teacher book and if you find that you want the test get them later.  You can find it on ebay you just have to keep looking. It is not that expensive from abeka if you only buy the teacher and student and be careful with ebay because sometimes with shipping it is more expensive than abeka.  Do you live in Texas?  

txmom24girls
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Yes, I do live in Texas. 

I only looked at the complete kit through Abeka. I will check out just the books. Thanks for the info!

tmgonz
by Member on Aug. 31, 2011 at 11:08 AM

If you live near Lewisville there is a great home school bookstore there. we live south of Dallas, but drive up there because they are so great.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)