Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you celebrate the holidays and seasons with your lesson plans?

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2011 at 7:07 PM
  • 7 Replies

I like to keep themes going in my lesson plans. Like in September, we'll do seasons and apples and maybe study leaves. 

by on Aug. 30, 2011 at 7:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MommaTasha1003
by on Aug. 30, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Seasons: Lightly yes it does come up. but nothing much yet.

Holidays: Yes. I love doing crafts, reading books..

This January I want to start a holiday book with DD. Where every month we study any holiday that may come up, even holidays we do not celebrate.

oredeb
by on Aug. 30, 2011 at 8:28 PM

no not anymore, but one we always dress up, or do a play or something is for reformation day but thats all,

TroyboysMom
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 4:09 AM

Yes. I even specifically hunt for weird holidays to incorporate them.

Mom71307
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 7:08 AM

I try to... I need to make a calendar to remind me of all the holidays!  I want to incorporate other cultures' and religions' holidays too so that our kids have a sensitivity toward other world views and understand that while we have our special days, not everyone celebrates the same ones but they all tend to have their own.  My oldest is just 4 though so we aren't into it too much at this point.

carolkey74
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 7:27 AM
We do. It's really the only time my kids (9th and 5th grades) can do anything together. We are going to watch a 9/11 documentary together this year. My son was an infant and my daughter was a toddler when 9/11 happened, so I feel it's important for them to truly understand what happened. I signed up for free lesson plan books on the History Channel website. They come two or three times a year, and they give planning ideas for History and Discovery channel shows.
wright1212
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 8:41 AM

I love the ideas of incorporating OTHER holidays (those my family doesnt typically celebrate). ALSO the history channel idea=awesome! I havent thought much of it, when studying early childhood they told us not to rely on holidays to need something to teach. But isnt that the Perk of homeschooling? We dont have rules such as no holidays allowed. I have already found a lapbook on elections that I will beef up for 2nd grade next year. Oh and Halloween..how I love thee... mexico 'day of the dead', history of remember those we lost, where did those silly witches come from, what is a ghost...ok my heart is pounding with excitment and its not even time yet!

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

carolkey74
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Halloween!!  My dd has been anticipating it since LAST halloween!  She loves it! 

If you go to the History Channel education site, they will send you lots of wonderful stuff.  I got a copy of America, The Story of Us miniseries for free.  I just listed our home as the school, and myself as the administrator. 

Mom of Laura-my 13 going on 30 angel, and 10 year old Nathan, the happiest kid in the world who happens to have Asperger's.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN