Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need advice...

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2011 at 10:22 PM
  • 6 Replies

I just put my daughter in Kindergarten and it is already going pretty bad. I knew her teacher before she started school and never cared for her because she always has attitude with everyone. I used to work at the school before my DD started and was really hoping that DD would not get her as a teacher, but she did. So, I thought I would just let my DD decide for herself how she liked t, I never said anything about the teacher to her but she doesn't like the teacher either. She says that teacher won't listen to anything she says and always ignores her. Since she started school she has been grinding her teeth every noght and started wetting the bed which we have not had an issue with in 2 years. So I know she is stressing about it too. So, to the point... I want her out of that school all together. Like I said I worked there so I know how it is and I know that the Principal will not change teachers. I have been thinking alot about homeschooling/unschooling but am totally freaked out by it all. I would not even be sure where I would start. Any advice for a frustrated mommy

My new Ebay store A CHRISTMAS FAIRY is officially opened. Come on in and check it out. http://stores.shop.ebay.com/A-Christmas-Fairy  More products will be added soon     so check back often. 

by on Aug. 30, 2011 at 10:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mom71307
by on Aug. 30, 2011 at 10:25 PM

For now, start by taking her out of school!  If she is having reactions like this now (you can't even be far into the year), then imagine what it iwll be in a few years... imagine her distaste for school as this continues... just start by pulling her out and go from there.

oredeb
by on Aug. 30, 2011 at 11:47 PM

check you homeschool law http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 31, 2011 at 12:08 PM
I wish I'd have followed my gut and done this last year. We suffered through the entire year of kindergarten. We are now happily homeschooling first grade, day 3 :)

Quoting Mom71307:

For now, start by taking her out of school!  If she is having reactions like this now (you can't even be far into the year), then imagine what it iwll be in a few years... imagine her distaste for school as this continues... just start by pulling her out and go from there.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2011 at 8:20 PM

I encourage you to go ahead and get her out. She is only K and you can give her all she needs just by playing with her, reading, coloring, doing puzzles, ect...  Also I highly recommend The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook by Raymond and Dorothy Moore.

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2011 at 9:27 AM

The first step is to check out the laws in your State concerning homeschooling.  Home School Legal Defense Association is a good resource for that, but I recommend  checking with your State Home School Association because they Will help you with many things like legal requirements, connecting with support groups in your area, classes (conventions) to help you, ext. There is so much support out there that will help you tremendously.

Here is a link where you can find your State, click on it, and it will take you to your States Homes School Association

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Quoting Mom71307:

THIS! Follow your gut instinct. Check your local laws. At that age, she can quite competently lead her own education in the direction of her natural curiosities and talents.

So you have a sentient, empathic kid picking up on the negative spirit of the teacher. What will she learn from that woman? How to hate school? How to treat smaller people like crap? Ugh. I hate that people like that are on the payroll as "educators."

I'm messaging you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)