Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I need advice on my daughter and her actually trying

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 1:09 PM
  • 10 Replies

My daughter is 3, almost 4 (in Jan). She's so so smart, so I've decided to go ahead and start some preschool stuff at home. Well our week doesn't actually start until next week, but I was just working with her today writing some things on the white board. Well, she knows how to do stuff, but she just doesn't try and does the wrong thing. Sometimes she even gets discouraged over it. I don't know how to react to this without getting frustrated. Please help! Thanks!

by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 31, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Let her lead you to what you do each day. I know that sounds wrong, but if you let her decide you will have her full attention & interest. Offer her fun things to chose from & don't get upset if she doesn't want to do any of it. Think outside of the "school box" if you want her to write get markers that she can use to write on the windows with. If you want to do math play board games that are math related like HIHO Cherry'O.

Worksheets/workbooks & seat work can be boring to some kids so find thigs that she likes & make them work for you to help her learn, Also know that she learns all the time not just when you are working with her on school stuff.

oredeb
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 1:28 PM

hi yuriko!

well she is only 3! i know shes smart!! but maybe its not the time to start teaching in a formal like setting? and she might be a hands on learning girl!!

if your gona do school stuff make it fun and not schoolish! what i did with mine we'd go outside and count bugs, rocks, clouds, trees, marbles, m and ms! learned our colors from nature, did a lot of cutting, pasting, and painting on large paper(doesnt have to be perfect), danced, memorized songs and poems, sang loud,i talked to the a lot,  i read to them(and you can ask the about what you read, simple questions), played!

just simple things like that are fun learning for that age.

i also put the abcs on the wall (big) and numbers all with different colors, so we could look at those and learn, make games out of learning. let her enjoy it! and you !!! this is just stuff i did with my kids yuriko, we had a great time!

debbie

http://homemade-school.blogspot.com/

Yuriko_chan
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Thanks ladies!! I'm going to give a few days of what I have planned, and then if that doesn't work, I'm going to try EVERYTHING you ladies suggested!! She loves crafts, I just need to find some good ones to do.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Hmm, is it one particular subject that she doesn't want to do, like writing or letters? Or is it everything you try?

Yuriko_chan
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Writing letters is the main thing she just doesn't want to do.

oredeb
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 5:04 PM

yuriko, most 3 yr olds writing ability is not so good at that age, maybe you can skip it for a bit , or keep the lessons very short 5-10 min learning 1 letter?

even writing the letter(s) in sand or whip cream or steam was fun

Yuriko_chan
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 6:24 PM

I never thought of having her write letters in a medium like that. Thanks for the tip!

Quoting oredeb:

yuriko, most 3 yr olds writing ability is not so good at that age, maybe you can skip it for a bit , or keep the lessons very short 5-10 min learning 1 letter?

even writing the letter(s) in sand or whip cream or steam was fun

sew4fun
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 9:49 PM

My girl is the same way !!!! I have had to try different learning methods . So far the only way to get her to do things correctly( that I know she can do ) is do make it a craft or project of some kind. She is not one to just sit and work or do things on the white/chalk board. She is very hands on

sew4fun
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 9:50 PM

I am a huge fan of the 1plus1plus1equals1.com blog she has a TON of ideas for little ones that are all hands on and are lots of fun. Preschoolpalace has some cool stuff too.

Yuriko_chan
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Awesome thanks for the tip!! See, my daughter loves doing school, loves to do the work sheets and gets all excited about doing it. Most of the time, she does great! But then times like this morning, she just kinda "plays dumb" which I absolutely hate saying that because she is far from that. But it's like sometimes she doesn't even want to try, when I know good and well that she already knows how to do it.

Quoting sew4fun:

I am a huge fan of the 1plus1plus1equals1.com blog she has a TON of ideas for little ones that are all hands on and are lots of fun. Preschoolpalace has some cool stuff too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN