Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you choose what your child will read or do you let them lead?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 1:53 PM
  • 12 Replies

*I'm a poet and don't know it 8)*

Do you follow a booklist or maybe pick favored books from your childhood? Does your child pick?

by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 31, 2011 at 2:29 PM

I offer to help them find books but it is up to them what they read in the end.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2011 at 3:13 PM
I let her pick most her books, but will pick books for her. We have a lot of classics around the house that hubby and I enjoyed, so we have her read those, and her language arts program has four books for her to read.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SCmomof3girls
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 3:41 PM
We do 2 reading parts. The first part I pick a book for all of us and I read it aloud. That lasts about 20 minutes. Then they get free read for a minimum of 15 minutes where they read whatever they choose.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshine80
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 3:42 PM
Free reading time they get to pick. For school I give the choices.

~ marisa
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FlyHippie
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Both. Sometimes (once a month) he reads a "classic" or something....sometimes it's history related and sometimes I say "OK, this one's all you....what do you wanna read next?"

oredeb
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 4:49 PM

sometimes we have a certain book we read for our unit study, we all read it together taking turns, but otherwise they pick there own books, i always glance at them so i know what they are reading.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2011 at 5:47 PM

It depends, we have academic books that they're required to read through the school year that's different depending upon that child's grade level, but when it comes to recreational reading the kids are so big on reading I let them choose what they're interested in.

I have held my older ones back until I felt they were old enough for certain reading content since they entered teen/adult level reading years ago, however there are so many books out there they've never had any problems finding a book they enjoy.

cedailey
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 10:10 PM

some of each

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 1, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Both - I have things I have them read and do book reports or research from and books they read for fun, Sometimes "fun" books are book report books, othr times I assign them.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

fygfitness_mom
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 2:03 AM

Both.

They often pick their free time reading books, though if I find something I think they might enjoy I do suggest it.

When it comes to their required reading for school they have a list they can select from.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)