Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

High schooler wants to graduate early...help!

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 3:09 PM
  • 5 Replies

My daughter skipped 7th grade last year, and went on to 8th.  She didn't have any problems, so we started her freshman year this month (yipes!).  Anyhoo, she wants to graduate as quickly as possible.  She wants to, in her words, "get on with life"!  I have no problem with early graduation.  I graduated HS at 16, and didn't have any problems.  It actually turned out to be a good thing for me. I worked some part time jobs, and did some volunteer work, which really helped me choose a degree program when I went to college a couple of years later.  Sooo...I guess my real question is this:  HOW DO I DO IT??    How will she be able to finish her HS credits early?  Our state requirements are 180 days a year, with 150 hours per subject to receive one credit.  As it is, if I divide her curriculum into 180 days, she will be bored out of her mind!  I have no doubt that if I let her work completely on her own pace, she could finish her 9th grade curriculum in less than 6 months.  Would I be able to count it as a full credit?  I'm so confused.shrugging  Advice??

Mom of Laura-my 13 going on 30 angel, and 10 year old Nathan, the happiest kid in the world who happens to have Asperger's.

by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 31, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I don't know what state you are in, so I don't know if this will help or not. If I where you I would let her work at her own pace & count anything remotely educational as school time logged ie... watching an educational show ( could be many subjects), doing a cross word puzzle ( spelling & LA), reading a magazine ( reading), writing a letter or e-mail ( writing/LA), cooking (home economics) & so on & so forth.

Maybe you should both read the book The Teenage Liberation Handbook by: Grace Llewellyn

oredeb
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 4:57 PM

if shes 16 she could just take her ged test and be done with , well it works here anyway!

it doesnt seem like it would matter how long it took the students to get the right amount of credits as long as they have them. check your homeschool law maybe it would help, at hsld.com or if you belong to a homeschool group you could ask there also.

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Can she start taking Community College classes? She could dual enroll and you should be able to count her time in class as school time. That way she can "get on with her life" and earn a degree at the same time.

How old is she?

Join me in Moms for Education
Moms for Education

"Oppression of spirit is not on
the public school curriculum. Rather, it's a noxious by-product produced
while stewing schooling in a pot w/ unions, administrators,
multi-billion dollar budgets, state education departments, and school
boards, then letting politicians control the heat." Linda Dobson

"When you want to teach
children to think, you begin by treating them seriously when they are
little, giving them responsibilities, talking to them candidly,
providing privacy and solitude for them, and making them readers and
thinkers of significant thoughts from the beginning. That's *if* you
want to teach them to think." ~ Bertrand Russell

carolkey74
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 6:13 PM
She's 13.

Mom of Laura-my 13 going on 30 angel, and 10 year old Nathan, the happiest kid in the world who happens to have Asperger's.

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Aug. 31, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Can she start taking Community College classes? She could dual enroll and you should be able to count her time in class as school time. That way she can "get on with her life" and earn a degree at the same time.

How old is she?

I was going to suggest something similar. There are programs that do dual credit where by the time they graduate HS they could have an AS or even a BS degree. Totally going to look into that sort of thing for DS when the time comes (he's 8).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)