Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

zoophonics-a very cool (and fun) phonics program.

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 9:23 PM
  • 5 Replies

I was telling DH the other day that my biggest concern about the twins never setting foot in  a pre-school/class is reading. I just don't know where to begin.  So he went and asked a coworker of his.  He works at a residential mental health facility for teens and kids, but they also do schooling for the residents and day treatment only kids.  The teacher he talked to specializes in reading and phonics, and highly reccomends the program.  The home kit is only 38, and it is so cool!

It teacher the letter by sight, but also associates it with a sound (a=ah), but also an animal.  BUt it adds a kinesthetic part, and each "letter" comes with a motion for the animal. 

As good proof, one of the kdis  at the teacher worked with had reading ability, even though he was 2nd grade age.  Within a week he was reading a few words, and left the facility with a first grade reading level (he was there almost a year I think?).  Considering he had some bad behavioral issues, I'd say that was pretty good.

The home edition is only $38, but they have all kidns of free stuff to download and print.  And it is used by a lot of preschools and early elementary classes.  I think we're going to use it!

http://www.zoophonics.com/

by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
sew4fun
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 9:40 PM

awesome ! I guess I am blind LOL the only thing I found as far as a kit goes was over $200

katzmeow726
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 9:52 PM

It depends on which link you click, look for the "parents" part.  I believe that's the one for home schoolers as well as parents wishing to supplement/prepare their kids.  I'm really excited about it.  We're gonna try some of the free stuff with the twins tomorrow for about 10-15 minutes. 

noraa21
by Member on Sep. 1, 2011 at 12:10 AM

My DS whole kindergarten class did this program, (6 years ago), and he loved it.  He was reading by the end of that year.  I think because he is such a visual, hands on learner that is why it clicked for him.  The class got to go to the zoo toward the end of the year after learning all the letters to see if they could find the animals.  I would personally recommend it! 

auroramoon69
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Sounds great, thanks for sharing!

katzmeow726
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 12:23 AM

That's what I've been hearing.  It really helps kids remember the material because they are up and moving while learning.  I can't wait to start with the toddler program.

Quoting noraa21:

My DS whole kindergarten class did this program, (6 years ago), and he loved it.  He was reading by the end of that year.  I think because he is such a visual, hands on learner that is why it clicked for him.  The class got to go to the zoo toward the end of the year after learning all the letters to see if they could find the animals.  I would personally recommend it! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN