Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

book reports

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 1:13 AM
  • 8 Replies
My daughter is in the fifth grade, is it wrong that I've never had her do a book report? My husband keeps asking when will she do them and I keep saying eventually, maybe. She hates writing a lot and this year she is learning typing. It is also the first year she has started to enjoy reading.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 1:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
fygfitness_mom
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 1:58 AM

My girls did them starting in Kinder. We would read a book together and then they would copy the title and author down (as best they could) and draw a picture about the story. We have progressed them each year. They now write full book reports but still have the option of illustrating them of course. lol

fygfitness_mom
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 2:01 AM

I shouldn't say full on because there is still more to add to them as the girls get older. By full I meant multiple paragraphs discussing the main idea, story points and their feelings on the book.

It's just something we have always done.

carolkey74
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 8:06 AM
My son is in 5th, and he hasn't done a book report yet. He has Asperger's, so it's difficult for him to write a large amount. He is learning to type, as well, so I'll probably wait to assign a book report after he is comfortable on the keyboard. Or you could start off with a book report worksheet. I have one that includes spaces for: book title, author, genre, main character description, and theme. Then it gives several lines for a one paragraph description of the book. This may be a good way to get her used to the idea.
oredeb
by debbie on Sep. 1, 2011 at 11:12 AM

hahaha its not wrong!! i started out doing them, but i'd rather hear it from their mouth what the story is about!! so ive not done them for 20 years!!!hahah and it hasnt hurt the kids any!

but i do think its very important to have the kids tell me or someone else what they are readiing, it makes it real, and they seem to remember it better.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM
Last night she was telling me about the chapter she read in her book and I didn't even have to ask. So it made me wonder as homeschoolers was it really that important?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by debbie on Sep. 1, 2011 at 11:34 AM

aww dont ya love it when they do that!!! they are so excited to tell you about it! one of those perks of homeschooling!!

Quoting Silverkitty:

Last night she was telling me about the chapter she read in her book and I didn't even have to ask. So it made me wonder as homeschoolers was it really that important?

fygfitness_mom
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Quoting Silverkitty:

I love it when they laugh and go so excited because they HAVE to tell you all about the funny part! So great!!

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I started ODS with book reports even before he had them in PS, probably in first grade. It was two paragraphs to begin with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)