Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GRRRRR, nothing else to say

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 10:18 AM
  • 10 Replies

I posted on fb about being thrilled to  start homeschooling this year (I did loosely last year but my oldest was just 3) and being able to watch my kids learn, etc.  One friend whom I went through education classes with in college said she didn't agree with homeschooling.  I pmed her and asked why and she only cited social reasons and multi-cultural involvment.  I explained how I get to pick who teaches and coaches my kids, that we will interview clergy from varying religions to further their understanding of world religion and culture, the numerous multi-cultural experiences I get to plan, etc. Also that sending them to a predominantly white school where they would be lost in the crowds, taught by white women in a scientific setting which barely covers world religion and culture (I don't feel I learned about other cultures as a result of my schooling but as a result of my parentage) didn't seem like the kind of environment she was looking for either.  Of course her response to me asking whether she could really ensure that her children had the kind of complete education she was saying homeschool kids don't/can't get was "we have to agree to disagree" and "you won't change my mind" (which I was not setting out to do... just to educate)... why can't people see that homeschooling opens SO many more doors than traditional schooling?  Why do people think that sending their kids to majority ruled schools does NOT open the cultural doors they think it does? This woman is a teacher for pete's sake but she doesn't see how boxed in she is in public (private) school?!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickersBreastfeeding tickers" />
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by debbie on Sep. 1, 2011 at 10:34 AM

some peoplel are for it and some against it, thats life!  some like yogurt and some dont! agree to disagree!! and still be friends

lot of people are not really sure what it is to be homeschooled, they should spend a week with a homeschooler!!!

we were taught to be nice robots dont tip the ladder people, and do what everyone else is doing!hahah

hey we're like the resistance army!!hahaha(even with homeschoolers theres arguing and such!)hahah   life!!

2turtles
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I found that the most objection I get is from teachers.  I have many friends that are teachers.  In a way, can see why they are more opinionated  on the subject than others.  This is a career they spent many years in school to do as well as years of training.  Now I'm telling them that I can do a better job at it than they can without the same amount of schooling. 
I can argue back to them that they are not able to teach an individual child but a classful at a time.
I actually haven't even told my closet friend that I am homeschooling because she is a teacher and has made many negative comments in the past.  But I know I will eventually, and I really can't let it bother me.  To them, homeschooling is a bit of a threat.  So, I have to let her comments bounce off of me and really just "agree to disagree" is good advice.  I really can't tell her that her career is wrong and she shouldn't tell me my choice is wrong. 

Although, it was rude for her to make the comment to you in the first place.

The important thing is , you know why you choose to homeschool.  Just be proud of your decision. :)

Mom71307
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 10:41 AM
I have no problem agreeing to disagree. I DID all those years of schooling to become a teacher... now I teach my kids and dont make $$! My problem is that after giving examples of how I wll get those all mportant cultural experiences, she doesnt believe its possble or tha homeschooling is anything more than cloistering my kids awa from the world. Its insulting at best
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fallnangel93
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I've learned from personal experience, that people who are against homeschooling can often be very closed minded when it comes to it. I have been told for the past 5 years (when I decided I was going to homeschool, my kids were only 6 months old at the time) that my kids would be weird, unsocialized, and have a hard time in the "real world" It doesn't matter what you say to try to educate, some people just close off their minds and won't even hear it. I have given up being upset that people don't agree with me...I know what I am doing is the best for my children, and I am sure that the people who send their kids to public/private schools feel the same way. Sometimes maybe it is best to "agree to disagree" just to keep everyone sane! lol

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM

My aunt is the one who always makes the snarky comments.  You know the type, it's a joke, but with meaning behind it?  For example, I made a comment about how excited I was to be starting day 3 of homeschool yesterday on my facebook, and her first and only comment is "oh come on Nikki, my kids were raised in public school and turned out fine!  (So did you)!"

My comment back:  "That is debatable! hahaha  Isn't it in a mother's nature to want better for their children than they had?" 

Yes, I made it through school, and all honors as well, but that doesn't mean it was the best experience for me.  There were drugs, sex, bullying, and more.  People lying, stealing, cheating and trying to talk me into things.  I am a strong minded person, and am not easily swayed from what I know is right for me or my family, so yes, I did just fine.  But not everyone is that way. 

And, I didn't always make the best of choices!  I mean, sheesh, if my parents only knew!  haha

Mom71307
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I've experienced all the questions about socialization, etc before too but for the most part (except with my brother who really knows nothing), I've been able to explain all the opportunities I have available to my kids and they have said how great it is.  I don't have a problem with traditional school... if that's their choice for their kids... its when I get told AFTER explaining all the options I have that my kids will not get the multicultural experiences that traditionally schooled kids get... I don't understand how the kids in those traditional schools get the cultural experiences though... and she can't/won't explain that... I asked her to!

oredeb
by debbie on Sep. 1, 2011 at 11:59 AM

multicultural?? hahahah i thought you had to be in a different country to get that?? yea right how do you get that in ps?hahahaha

Quoting Mom71307:

I've experienced all the questions about socialization, etc before too but for the most part (except with my brother who really knows nothing), I've been able to explain all the opportunities I have available to my kids and they have said how great it is.  I don't have a problem with traditional school... if that's their choice for their kids... its when I get told AFTER explaining all the options I have that my kids will not get the multicultural experiences that traditionally schooled kids get... I don't understand how the kids in those traditional schools get the cultural experiences though... and she can't/won't explain that... I asked her to!

sandra1023
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Eh, after 7+ years homeschooling, I no longer allow myself to get dragged into debates about it.  We have made our decision, and we are comfortable with it, and that is that.  These days if someone says something directly to me about not agreeing with it, I just say, "And I'm sure as a parent you do (or will do) things I don't agree with, but I wouldn't be rude enough to voice my opnion where it isn't asked for.  :)"

fygfitness_mom
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Quoting 2turtles:

I found that the most objection I get is from teachers.  I have many friends that are teachers.  In a way, can see why they are more opinionated  on the subject than others.  This is a career they spent many years in school to do as well as years of training.  Now I'm telling them that I can do a better job at it than they can without the same amount of schooling. 

This is what I've found too.

I have several friends that are teachers and for the most part they are against homeschooling. The one thing they can't argue with unfortunately is how intelligent, well behaved, respectful and lovely my girls are. The argument ends the moment they really get to know anything about my kids and at that point they try to convince me to change my degree and become a teacher.

The girls both went to a B&M for kinder. I love, love, love the woman who taught them. When I announced that we were pulling them out of that school she was so excited for me. She told me if there was absolutely anything she could do to give her a call and that meant a lot because she was so frazzled that year. Also, Bre Anna's current teacher at the time told me she thought I was making the right decision for my child. The administration of course had other opinions. Though I can honestly say that anyone who has met my children and really seen our dynamic thinks there is nothing wrong with MY homeschool but still think that others shouldn't, that I am somehow an exception.

I tell them that this is NOT the case and that they should try to get to know a family before being judgemental. I think all of you ladies are amazing and feel so privelaged to get to mingle and toss around ideas with so many experienced and hard working moms who take this as seriously as I do, without being too serious of course. :-) I am proud of the way we school and I truly don't care what others think.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2011 at 2:14 PM

This is me. At some point I just started letting it roll off my back. 8)

Quoting sandra1023:

Eh, after 7+ years homeschooling, I no longer allow myself to get dragged into debates about it.  We have made our decision, and we are comfortable with it, and that is that.  These days if someone says something directly to me about not agreeing with it, I just say, "And I'm sure as a parent you do (or will do) things I don't agree with, but I wouldn't be rude enough to voice my opnion where it isn't asked for.  :)"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)