Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I went to public school, and I turned out just fine...

Posted by   + Show Post

I did!  I got mostly A's, was a model student, and a total teacher pleaser.  I did my homework, lab work, and helped my friends with their work.  I am the only reason my boyfriend at the time even graduated highschool. (And then found out he got another girl pregnant because I didn't "put out").

That being said, would I want that same experience for my kids?  N.O. 

Even at the young age of 12, I was doing things that shouldn't be done by a 12 year old.  I didn't always make good decisions.  I was just really good at not getting caught, and smart enough to get good grades so everyone thought I was an angel.  :)  Looking back at my middle and high school years, I absolutely want to DIE thinking that could be my daughter.  The teacher's didn't care about me, all they cared about was that I was where I should be, when I should be. 

I was friends with almost everyone, which gave me a good view of how MEAN people are!  There are always bullies, sex, drugs, etc in school.  And yes, I realize that my kid will face those things eventually.  The key word being EVENTUALLY.  AFTER (hopefully) I have had a chance to sit down with them and talk about those things.  When they are mature enough to understand them and why they are wrong (or in what cases they are not wrong). 

My neighbors kids are 5 and 8.  They have been "in love" with TV stars from an early age, kissing and practically humping pictures and a beach towel with their picture on it.  There is NO reason my kid needs to act that way.  The mom takes pride in the fact that her 5 year old daughter "has 8 boyfriends" and is "in love" with several movie stars, egging her on, asking her to name them.  The little girl gets a dreamy look and makes kissy faces.  My daughter has no idea about that stuff.  Heck, she has never even seen High School Musical, much less wants to kiss "Troy". 

So yes, I did go to public school.  Yes, I did turn out "just fine".  But do I want that for my kids?  Not if I can help it. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 11:36 AM
Replies (11-16):
Annastacialynn
by Member on Sep. 2, 2011 at 7:29 AM

I TOTALLY agree! I was public schooled my entire life, but I do NOT want my kids to be in school at all (even charter schools). I want to protect them from the things I learned too soon (the things you mentioned) and from bullying and bad teachers. I just want to protect them and teach them about the world through their father and I, in a controlled environment. I feel like I wouldn't be as involved in their lives as I needed to be if they were at public/private schools and that scares me.

countjb
by on Sep. 2, 2011 at 7:52 AM

I went through public school from K-12. I remember thinking how useless it was to memorize the presidents in order. I didn't learn anything that fueled my desire to learn. I was a straight A student going outside and getting high by the lake near our school. I was doing many things that I shouldn't have been doing, but no one knew that. The teachers loved me. I didn't learn how to socialize, I learned how to survive the cliques. When I was in elementary school I was taunted for my weight and the way my mother made me dress. Kids are cruel, not accepting ot other people's differences. My dd is in the 7th grade this year. She has been asking to go to public school. My husband is encouraging her because he thinks it will better prepare her for the "real world". I'm fighting them both. I want better for my dd than what I had, and I want to shield her from the evil that lurks "out there". Our only real problem with homeschooling is that she feels isolated. This is of her own doing because she refuses to join any outside activities. I keep giving her options, but she keeps making excuses to turn them down. I don't know what to do. I am truly scared that she's going to end up in public school for her high school years.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Some soldiers come back from war "fine" on the outside but are terribly wounded on the inside. It is the same with public school!!  I never wanted that for any of my kids but my older children had to endure some until I heard of home education. Back in the 80's and very early 90's I hadn't heard of it.  As soon as I did my kiddos were home! 

Gumberly
by on Sep. 2, 2011 at 12:14 PM
Quoting countjb:

I went through public school from K-12. I remember thinking how useless it was to memorize the presidents in order. I didn't learn anything that fueled my desire to learn. I was a straight A student going outside and getting high by the lake near our school. I was doing many things that I shouldn't have been doing, but no one knew that. The teachers loved me. I didn't learn how to socialize, I learned how to survive the cliques. When I was in elementary school I was taunted for my weight and the way my mother made me dress. Kids are cruel, not accepting ot other people's differences. My dd is in the 7th grade this year. She has been asking to go to public school. My husband is encouraging her because he thinks it will better prepare her for the "real world". I'm fighting them both. I want better for my dd than what I had, and I want to shield her from the evil that lurks "out there". Our only real problem with homeschooling is that she feels isolated. This is of her own doing because she refuses to join any outside activities. I keep giving her options, but she keeps making excuses to turn them down. I don't know what to do. I am truly scared that she's going to end up in public school for her high school years.

I would strongly encourage you to stick with keeping her home! While I know every kid and school is different I have a excellent story to illustrate the down side of sending her to PS. I knew a girl who's mom caved and sent her to public school (along with her siblings) when she was in junior high. She was cute, smart, and at first got great grades. Then she discovered that the smart kids where not the popular kids. She started getting pressured to fit in and she caved to pressure. By the time we graduated from high school she had amassed quit a reputation for herself and by the third month of college she was pregnant with her first son.
The teachers always thought she was wonderful. They showered her with praise and awards. When someone dared mention that she may need some guidance because of her promiscuous behavior the offending party was called jealous and a lier. I don't know about ever school but I know in the small town high school I went to half the teachers acted like teenagers themselves.
Now I am not saying that her parents where blameless in this and that with a good home foundation some of this could be avoided but PS is not for education it's for teaching kids to conform. To do as they are told and think what everyone else thinks. That's what I was taught, don't ask questions just do as you are told and remember the teacher is never wrong. There is no "real world" in PS.
AbundanceMagnet
by on Sep. 2, 2011 at 9:20 PM
Great post!!!! I was home schooled from 7th grade on. In public school I loved the elementary years for the most part. I wasn't very popular so there was always some bullying but great teachers helped in many ways. As soon as I hit middle school the bullying and physical violence was horrible. That is why my mom pulled me out....
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 3, 2011 at 8:20 AM
That's awful. :( how awesome that your mom home schooled you! I have heard the middle and high school years are even more important to homeschool even though most people plan on hsing "until" then.

Quoting AbundanceMagnet:

Great post!!!! I was home schooled from 7th grade on. In public school I loved the elementary years for the most part. I wasn't very popular so there was always some bullying but great teachers helped in many ways. As soon as I hit middle school the bullying and physical violence was horrible. That is why my mom pulled me out....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN