Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What grade? And why? PIOG

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 9:57 PM
  • 10 Replies

What grade do you say your kids are in? What do you base it on?

I ask because I was doing some planning, etc for our first sort of intense year of homeschooling and my daughter just turned 4 in July.  She would technically just be in preschool still but in going through my state's expectations for kids completeing kindergarten and 1st grade, she is between the two and we realistically could finish 1st grade this year or be close.  That would put her 1st/2nd but closer to 2nd grade beginning fall of 2012 when she would just be 5.  I am moving at her pace and not pushing or anything and I am only using the GLCE's as a reference not a hard and fast rule and we will spend more time with what she needs more time with, etc.  I am just curious about this... I hope this makes sense!  Thanks!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickersBreastfeeding tickers" />
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hailnbray
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 10:18 PM

i tell people shes in 2nd because legally shes in second, if she was in public school this is where she would be. her lessons are 4-5th grade but age shes a 2nd grader

Maridel
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 11:34 PM

I say Kindergarten, she's turning 5 in October and would be pre k this year, but she's doing K work so she's in K

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 2, 2011 at 1:56 AM
We say what grade they would be. In in public school. Since my boys started out in PS it makes sense to them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 2, 2011 at 7:50 AM
Same here, it's just easier. Haha

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

We say what grade they would be. In in public school. Since my boys started out in PS it makes sense to them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misselphaba
by on Sep. 2, 2011 at 10:25 AM

I say mine are in 3rd and Kindergarten.  I say those because those are the grades they are in for their Options program. 

Most of the time, though, I just say we are homeschoolers. 

oredeb
by on Sep. 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM

we dont do grades, just continue moving on in all the subjects

but if they are asked they say 4th, 5th, 7th, and 2-9th

Melyssa-R
by on Sep. 3, 2011 at 9:33 PM

I base it on her age and where she'd be in public school. It's just easier that way when people ask her, or me, what grade she is in.  That is all people really want to know.  They don't care or understand to say you're doing one grade level of this, another of that, etc. Makes hs'ing sound flaky, in my opinion.  

hlbhembree
by on Sep. 3, 2011 at 9:45 PM

I just say we homeschool because at this point it is just too complicated to be specific and I don't want to make my kids feel awkward about where they each are educationally.  I have a 5 year old that would be in Kindergarten this year but fell behind in public school because he has an ASD and other issues.  Then I have a 3 year that is a on target for her age so they are both doing the same work.  Plus, I am incorporating things that my two year old with a speech delay needs to learn also.  This is our first year of homeschool so I decided to just start at the beginning and so we are doing the 3 year program from abcjesuslovesme.com with a lot more emphasis on reading aloud.  I could easily see my three year old surpassing my five year old in the coming years so the way I see it grade level doesn't matter as long as they are doing their best and making progress at their speed.

Mom71307
by on Sep. 4, 2011 at 5:31 AM

I SO very much agree here!!!!!!!  I was initially asking because traditional school people ask that question all the time and I wondered what to say/have her say.  Some homeschool kids I know don't know what grade they are in (or would be in) and while I get that, many don't and seem to give funny looks/judge. I wondered if age base or work base was how to do it...

Quoting hlbhembree:

the way I see it grade level doesn't matter as long as they are doing their best and making progress at their speed.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickersBreastfeeding tickers" />
Penmom4
by on Sep. 4, 2011 at 9:37 AM

5th, thats the grade he passed to in school befor homeschooling. This is my first year homeschooling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)