Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

State Standards?

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2011 at 8:09 PM
  • 3 Replies

What state do you live in and what are your states standards?

I am in Texas and we have no testing, rocord keeping, teacher qualifications or attendance requirements.  The law is basically that as long as you are teaching math, reading, spelling, grammar, and good citizenship in a bonafied manner that's all that has to be done.  I am grateful to be in a such homeschool friendly state.

However, I personally want to do much more than those five subjects and I also want to keep records of thier progress along the way.  So I am curious how do you go about your record keeping?

by on Sep. 4, 2011 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
oredeb
by on Sep. 4, 2011 at 8:13 PM

oregon, and the law is notify superintendant you are homeschooling and test every other year. now unless it has changed that the way i remember it!

i dont keep records, if i needed to i could give them a report card, but we dont need it

Danielle163
by on Sep. 4, 2011 at 9:48 PM

We are in Iowa and use the HSAP(homeschooling assistance program). We get a supporting teacher and don't have to test--No records needed.

AbundanceMagnet
by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 11:18 AM
Here in Florida you are supposed to keep a portfolio, planner, etc. The county can request your portfolio with a 15days notice (usually only if someone calls in a complaint). You mail a letter to the county stating you will be homeschooling and have a certified teacher evaluate your child at the end of the year. That is pretty much it. We now go through an Umbrella School to avoid the County at all. All I have to do with the umbrella school is submit attendance quarterly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN