Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ignorance about homeschooling

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 11:57 AM
  • 8 Replies

I got told today that I'm a hypocrite...why?

Because I support the idea of public education AND homeschool.  Apparently taking into consideration those who can't afford to homeschool, or single moms who work two jobs is pure hypocrisy.  It's also because I worry about if anything happened to me or DH, and we could no longer do it...

Then my mom has the nerve to tell me that I'm less mature than working moms because I am a SAHM, and that my kids will not be as mature as their peers because they won't experience the "ups and downs of school."

Or my dad telling me that it's a big responsibility for someone who couldn't even get her car serviced on time, and was two years late for an oil change.  THat was four years ago, I wasn't even a parent, and I still had a lot of growing to do.

A little support would be nice!

What the heck??

by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mynameismuerte
by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 12:14 PM

The only person whose support matters to me is DH.  Thankfully both sides of our family do support us but it honestly wouldn't even matter to me because WE are the primary caregivers and decision makers for our young children.  I think I would have to let them know you won't be discussing homeschooling with them at all.  

One of the first things I had to learn was that I don't need to defend our decision to homeschool anymore than a parent who puts their child in public or private school does.  The proof will be in the education and how they act.  The more you come across as trying to defend yourself the more they are going to think it's okay to try and persuade you otherwise.  The next time someone wants to bring up something "immature/childish/stupid" that you've done in the past I'd probably say something like, "Yep, because you've never done anything stupid in your entire life, right?" 

If there is one thing I am CERTAIN of, it's that 99% of people who are "concerned" about a child's socialization are completely and totally confused as to what the definition of socialization even is.  

katzmeow726
by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Oh I agree...socialization, as society sees it, is not what it really is. 

It just bugs me.  I know I shouldn't care about their support, but it's hard not to.  I pretty much avoid the homeschool topic with them now, because it's my own personal version of the spanish inquisition with them...constant badgering and questions.  Ahh, well, at least DH is behind me.  He's actually bummed that he has to work, and can't be there during the day!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2011 at 1:23 PM

My whole family is against the idea of homeschool but DH's  supports it. I'm so tired of trying to prove that it is going to be ok and that my kids won't be weirdos. I just stopped trying to reason with them. I now just say, 'My kids, my choice.' To my brother I add, "When you actually have children, you can raise them however you want.'

On a side point, how can someone who doesn't have any children tell me how I'm raising mine wrong? LOL

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Eh.  Support will come when they see that homeschooling really is a good thing.  People are afraid and against things they do not understand.  Also, people are afraid and against things that are different than what they did. 

oredeb
by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 3:34 PM

i guess im a hypocrite also, i support public education and homeschooling also!!!

who defines mature?? someones mature is probably not the same as someone elses mature!

its new to your parents, anything new is hard to get around! as time goes by they will get use to it, and see good results.  how old are your parents?

DrJChappell
by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 8:05 PM

I get it, too. My mom insists that if we homeschooled full time, my kids would be hermits with no social skills and that the greatest education you get at school is to get along with all different kinds of people. Because you couldn't do that with homeschool, right??? (sarcastic)

It makes me crazy, but I think my mom's starting to come around to my way of thinking . . . . very very slowly, but that's still progress.

katzmeow726
by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 10:23 PM

I know mine will once they see it in action.  It's still a few years before we REALLY get into home schooling (my kiddos are only 2).  And yet I get constant compliments from strangers, and from them, about how well behaved my kids are, how wonderful it is that they say please and thankyou (even excuse me, when they belch lol).  They have strong language skills, although they are behind peers because they tend to use their own language.  even though they are fraternal, they still have their own words that they share...quite a few of them really.
   They are smart kids....and have NEVER set foot in a daycare.  It's all my hard work with them.  So it just irritates me that my parents doubt my ability to teach my children, when even THEY constantly express how smart and polite my kids are.

HMPH!!!

Okay, temper tantrum over.  Back to my coffee lol.

Teascha
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 3:00 AM

I am a HUGE hypocrite I guess lol I homeschool one of my kids and the other is in public school until we move in a couple of months! I get irritated too. Comments like" why would you make them do something like that" or "are you sure you are going to be enough for them". Its so hard sometimes. When we move though, we will be super duper close to DH's mom and she homeschooled him for a very short time but she has a teaching degree and so "IF" I do need some help with something she would be more than willing to help, and she thinks it is just awesome that I am homeschooling :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)