Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you suggest for a Challenging Child???

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 5:40 PM
  • 8 Replies

My son is five years old and would be in Kindergarten this year except we decided to homeschool instead.  He has days where he is fine and participates reasonably well but other days are a nightmare!  Today we were doing a work sheet that had Color by Number except it was with little colored dots instead and he refused to even try to color it.  His three year old sister sat and diligently did her paper and he still hadn't made one mark on his. 

At that point what do you do?  I don't want him to dislike school but I also don't think I should allow him to act the way he was acting or refuse to do what I ask.

by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2011 at 6:26 PM

I would have given him something else to do.  My daughter didn't always like coloring.

DrJChappell
by on Sep. 5, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Maybe save the worksheet for another day and find something he does want to do, even if it's more freeform.

oredeb
by debbie on Sep. 6, 2011 at 10:23 AM

lots of love and patience

some boys just dont like to color, how bout chalk board work or that white board .

hands on stuff,

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2011 at 3:17 PM

It sounds like your son is either a hands on learner (Artisan Personality),   or a NT (rational).  They can be a bit challenging because their goals are not to please parents like the other personalities.  But understanding their personalities (and learning styles) will make it much easier for both of you.

My youngest daughter was less organized than I, and it was a source of irritation. But when I studied her personality type,  it actually became fun to witness. It provided us years of laughter as we discuss our differences.

Here is an article with videos that explains the personality types.  Below each video is a link where you can learn more about the personality of your child.  Different Learning Styles

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 6, 2011 at 3:36 PM
I am totally going to be in this boat in just a couple years with DD2 so I can relate :) I have no advice though. lol
romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2011 at 1:40 AM

To get "Rational" children to color, I usually purchase them a notebook, and let them draw and color things they are interested in at the time.  It might be dinosaurs, Star War Characters...anything that is their fascination at the time.  They will likely want to tell you elaborate stories about their drawings which I encourage. As they get older I have them also write their stories in their notebook as they draw.

For the "Hands On Learner".  They like to make things (like drawing and coloring emblems on a paper air plane).  But they also like compettitive games (the rational child does also).  So I often turn a project into a competition between him and myself....telling them, "the first one to color 4 squares, and three circles without going out of the lines wins".  They are happy with just winning....no prises needed, just praises for job well done (praise their performance).

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Good luck! My son's first year was terrible because of the same problem. There were lots of days where we both ended up in tears. luckily, this year is going much better.

loves2sew
by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM

I am in the same situation with my 5 year old son. He just shuts down when he thinks we are doing school work. I have tried a much more hands on approach that seems to work a little better. I have to trick him into learning almost. Hang in there. Your not alone. I think far more children than we know are not ready to sit and learn at this age. Reading your post helps me also. I am hoping with a little time and consistency we'll get there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)