Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

First day of "formal" home schooling starts today.

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 7:28 AM
  • 12 Replies

So today the public schools in Michigan start, and so we will start my 5 year old on her school work today, too!

I have had a hard time feeling at peace about either option, full day kindergarten or home school. The only half day K option in our area is at a local private school. But I know the teacher for K-2 grade and I just get the most awful vibe from her. So that is out.

I looked into sending Scarlett to the public school for art, music, gym and computers. One school is maxed out at 29 kids in each class, and I just don't feel comfortable sending her there. I checked with another school, and they have much smaller class sizes. 20-25 kids in each class. They said they will be happy to have her for the specials, as long as they don't get full up this week.  And a woman that I know from play groups is now teaching Kindy there! So I requested she be in her room. She is also doing dance and girl scouts.

So that is where we are at, and I actually somewhat feel at peace about this. I think I am just nervous about teaching her everything she needs to learn this year.

Anybody else get nervous when they started home schooling?

by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 7:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carolkey74
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 9:13 AM

I was sick to my stomach for weeks!

I pulled my kids out of ps two years ago, so we were in "the system" for 8 years (PK-6 for dd and PK-3 for ds).  I was terrified!  It gets easier, though.  Now, we are in our second year, and it feels natural.  Good luck!

Danielle163
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Yes, I was pretty nervous and I think thats natural. I felt so much better once I read Rupp's book (Home Learning Year by Year). Wow, 29 kids to a class! That is awful. Before I pulled DD out of ps, she was in a class with 16 other children. (We live in a very small town though......but the child bullies run rampant)

lau55
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Glad to see Im not hte only one scared of this!  

I just got off the phone with the principal at the the school and they are not full up and will be happy to have her, and she can have the class that I wanted! We are going down there this afterenoon to get the schedule. Yay!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Congrats!

I was completely terrified my first months of homeschooling. It was completely radical in my social group, but we made it through and loved it!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 6, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I was so nervous!  Today is our sixth day, and we are really enjoying it.  DD1 is first grade, and DD2 is only 2 so we're just learning through play mostly.  

Good luck!  You'll do great :)

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2011 at 11:23 AM

She is only in K.  You don't really have to "teach" her anything.  SHe will learn all she needs through everyday things. Talking with you, you reading to her, doing puzzles, coloring, playing educational games, etc...  She will be fine. I promise.  I have home educated many years (and many kids) and I am down to just one to graduate now :)

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2011 at 11:24 AM

So you were not even interested in home educating your DD anyways?

Quoting lau55:

Glad to see Im not hte only one scared of this!  

I just got off the phone with the principal at the the school and they are not full up and will be happy to have her, and she can have the class that I wanted! We are going down there this afterenoon to get the schedule. Yay!

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

Mom71307
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 11:27 AM

We are in MI too (what area are you in?!)  But, I am not starting til next week... this week is too hectic for me with my husband being gone on his first business trip and having appts today and starting Bible Study tomorrow!

Cafe Kate
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 11:35 AM
Good luck! Also, I love the name Scarlett!
oredeb
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 12:18 PM

when i first started i was nervous, wondering how im gona teach all this stuff!! but a friend of mine told me to just do it one day at a time, that sure helped me not worry about everything, theres always help if we get stuck from other moms i realized!! oh and its so worth it! i would not do it any other way, having someone else educate or raise my kids is not for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN