Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Teaching religion

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 11:39 AM
  • 12 Replies

I know I have asked a question similar to this in the past, but UGH!  I am having such a hard time with this.  

We have the Faith and Life series "Our Heavenly Father" for first grade.  I want her to be able to get her first communion on time, so I know I need to figure something out.  But I am having a super hard time just making myself do it.  

The book has it laid out, but it refers to the activity book a lot (which wasn't even available or recommended).  It doesn't go in order of how I think it should go (like talking about genesis 1 and the order in which God created everything)  

I'm so not Catholic (or even baptized, although I do believe in God), so this is a struggle, and it is making me remember why I am not.  There are so many things I disagree with as I look through the book.  

I should mention, I haven't even started yet!  I'm really in trouble, aren't I?  *sigh*

by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoyfulMommyof2
by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Bible is our first and most important subject of the day.  Teaching my children to have a relationship with the Lord and to have Godly character far outweigh anything else I could teach them.  If they are superstars in arithmetic and science, can quote poetry and literature, can explain the historical facts of every known war, can write a novel, etc. but don't have a true understanding of who Jesus is and what He did for them, what does it really matter?  If they become multi-millionaires and the greatest in their career field, but don't have Godly character, are they truly successful?  I'm all about preparing them for their future here on earth and teaching them all I possibly can, finding their gifts and talents and interests and developing them fully.  I love reading and learning and thinking, and I hope to pass these loves to my children.  My main concern, though, is their eternal future.  I love Jesus Christ and my life belongs to him, and I hope my children always will, too.  Everything else is so insignificant in compairson. 

Do I teach about "religion"?  We have learned about "religion" and different beliefs in history.  

Do I teach them about "Jesus" and a relationship with Him?  Yes!  Definitely!  Every day.  I praise Him that I can!  

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

oredeb
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 10:51 AM

could your dh teach her???

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 9, 2011 at 11:20 AM
I had that conversation yesterday, but he insists he doesn't know how. I tell him it is all laid out for him. I kind of feel like this is his religion, you know? Like he should be able to help me. The other day I asked him to recite the "our father" for me (which I have known by heart forever). He couldn't get past the first part. I didn't know what to think...
I have noticed he doesn't do any if the talking during church, but didn't think he really didn't know it. He went to catholic elementary school and had to go to church every Sunday of his life before we married. Anytime I ask him a question, he can't answer. It makes me question how into his faith he really is, and kind of disappoints me. Like, how can I be expected to teach this, and it be important to our daughters when I don't feel like it is important to him?

Quoting oredeb:

could your dh teach her???

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 11:53 AM

yea i see your point! did you ask him why he wants the kids to learn this??

Maridel
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Is there anyway you could just have your daughter go to faith formation classes at church? I'm using Faith and Life and I have to say if you don't believe what you're teaching your daugther is going to pick that up and that's really not going to teach her much except hipocrisy (not trying to offend just looking from a childs point of view). It sounds like it would be beneficial for your husband to teach her cause then he'd learn it to. If this is the faith he wants the kids to grow up in, HIS faith he should do more to learn it too. But if HE's not willing then I'd leave it up to the church. And at home you can just teach faith the way you feel is best without a curriculum.

muhajjirah
by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Quoting Boobah:

But I am having a super hard time just making myself do it.  

I'm so not Catholic (or even baptized, although I do believe in God), so this is a struggle, and it is making me remember why I am not.  There are so many things I disagree with as I look through the book.  

Hello,

I just joined the group and found your post interesting. Out of curiosity, why would you commit yourself to teaching your children in Catholicism if you yourself do not believe in it? If you believe in One God, why dont you just try to inculcate remembrance of God in all that you do. If the Bible doesnt make sense to you, and you have issues with it then how do you you expect to convince your children of it, and in all honesty- with all due respect- it doesnt makes sense to teach them this as true if you yourself sees it as faulty or if your husband doesn't make it a priorty. Perhaps thats why its been a struggle for you?

As a Muslim, I believe in One God Who is above everything that exists, I love Jesus- son of Mary, who was born without a father (easy for God to create, as Adam & Eve didnt have a father- or mother) and beleive he was a Prophet..one of the 5 greatest ones too. I am not the role model of mothers, but I dont understand the concept of teaching children in something that doesnt make sense & I can see how something that would conflict anyone.

I pray that God guides you helping you in doing what is best for your child.

Peace.

Muhajjirah, MuslimMoms Admin.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 10, 2011 at 7:54 PM
I totally see where you are coming from. But I guess I didn't know how conflicted I was until I started looking through it. I was considering getting baptized myself, and wanted to teach them, and learn alongside them. That is why I committed to doing it. And to be completely honest, I never knew my husband didn't know these things, because I never really asked. Kwim?
I am trying to really soul search, and I do not think that it is the religion I have a problem with, but the church seems to be what is bothering me. And again, being honest, I don't know what I do or do not believe, because I do not know much about this or any faith. Not because I don't believe, or don't want to learn, but because I was never taught.
I have been praying on it, every day. But all I keep hearing inside myself is "be patient". It is not clear to me yet what path I want to take, but I feel like every day I get closer, and that I gain new knowledge and curiosity every day.
This has lead me to want to learn more about *other* religions now. I want to know what the differences are between say, catholic and Christian (If there are any), as well as other religions. I was told yesterday that you can get first communion at first or second grade, which made me feel better, because at least I'm not going to rush into teaching something I am not sure I am comfortable with. So now it is my job to figure out what I *do* feel comfortable with.

Thank you all for your respectful responses. I know this is a touchy subject, and when I read my original post, it sounds a little rude and snarky, which is not how I intended.

Quoting muhajjirah:

Quoting Boobah:

But I am having a super hard time just making myself do it.  

Hello,

I just joined the group and found your post interesting. Out of curiosity, why would you commit yourself to teaching your children in Catholicism if you yourself do not believe in it? If you believe in One God, why dont you just try to inculcate remembrance of God in all that you do. If the Bible doesnt make sense to you, and you have issues with it then how do you you expect to convince your children of it, and in all honesty- with all due respect- it doesnt makes sense to teach them this as true if you yourself sees it as faulty or if your husband doesn't make it a priorty. Perhaps thats why its been a struggle for you?

As a Muslim, I believe in One God Who is above everything that exists, I love Jesus- son of Mary, who was born without a father (easy for God to create, as Adam & Eve didnt have a father- or mother) and beleive he was a Prophet..one of the 5 greatest ones too. I am not the role model of mothers, but I dont understand the concept of teaching children in something that doesnt make sense & I can see how something that would conflict anyone.

I pray that God guides you helping you in doing what is best for your child.

Peace.

Muhajjirah, MuslimMoms Admin.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 10, 2011 at 7:56 PM
I forgot to mention, it was kind of just expected that we would do what is necessary to get her first communion. We together decided to raise them catholic, but I don't really know what that means besides having faith, believing in god, reading the bible, being good people, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Honestly, I worry more about teaching the character and love of God at home and leave the actual lessons to the Sunday school teachers at Church.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 10, 2011 at 8:03 PM
We had planned on Sunday school, but when I called to sign her up, they said that homeschool kids are normally taught at home. So, I figured that is what I had to do. Lol. Plus I would kind of like to know what exactly they are teaching her.

Quoting mem82:

Honestly, I worry more about teaching the character and love of God at home and leave the actual lessons to the Sunday school teachers at Church.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)