Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I know I have asked a question similar to this in the past, but UGH!  I am having such a hard time with this.  

We have the Faith and Life series "Our Heavenly Father" for first grade.  I want her to be able to get her first communion on time, so I know I need to figure something out.  But I am having a super hard time just making myself do it.  

The book has it laid out, but it refers to the activity book a lot (which wasn't even available or recommended).  It doesn't go in order of how I think it should go (like talking about genesis 1 and the order in which God created everything)  

I'm so not Catholic (or even baptized, although I do believe in God), so this is a struggle, and it is making me remember why I am not.  There are so many things I disagree with as I look through the book.  

I should mention, I haven't even started yet!  I'm really in trouble, aren't I?  *sigh*

by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 11:39 AM
Replies (11-12):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2011 at 8:21 PM

I understand this completly. I was taught a few wonky things when I was younger and Mom wasn't happy.

Quoting Boobah:

We had planned on Sunday school, but when I called to sign her up, they said that homeschool kids are normally taught at home. So, I figured that is what I had to do. Lol. Plus I would kind of like to know what exactly they are teaching her.

Quoting mem82:

Honestly, I worry more about teaching the character and love of God at home and leave the actual lessons to the Sunday school teachers at Church.

AbundanceMagnet
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 9:08 PM

I just joined the group and found your post interesting. Out of curiosity, why would you commit yourself to teaching your children in Catholicism if you yourself do not believe in it? If you believe in One God, why dont you just try to inculcate remembrance of God in all that you do. If the Bible doesnt make sense to you, and you have issues with it then how do you you expect to convince your children of it, and in all honesty- with all due respect- it doesnt makes sense to teach them this as true if you yourself sees it as faulty or if your husband doesn't make it a priorty. Perhaps thats why its been a struggle for you?

This was very well said!!!  I really can't add anything else.  I am not a religious person, I'm more spiritual and  just being a good person, etc.  I don't really teach my children a certain way other than how we should treat others and the importance of being a good person in general.  We talk about peoples views, how we feel about them and I plan on letting them educate themselves and make the decision that works best for them  :) 

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)