Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone by the fires that are going on in the United states??

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 12:41 PM
  • 14 Replies

there sure are a lot of fires now! anyone live by them? if so how are you doing?

by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mynameismuerte
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 1:06 PM

My BFF lives NW of Austin and she could see them fighting one of the fires from her house a few weeks ago.

There is another one burning west of Houston that a friend of mine's mom's home was threatened.  It did burn some of their land.

I have a friend north of Houston who posted on his FB this morning that they were evacuated.  Crazy, crazy!

bdflykisses
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Ft Hood is burning AGAIN... but I am about 10 miles away and they've gotten it pretty contained atm.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 6, 2011 at 2:16 PM
There is a large fire burning across the valley from us. Caused by a small plane crash. Luckily it is far enough from us that its not a concern.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 4:57 PM

where is ft hood?

we have  fires here,so sad to see houses burn,  lots of smoke, they keep getting bigger, the smoke is bad on certain days, theyve put up all the warnings now. stay inside for asthma people, breathing people!

FlyHippie
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 9:24 PM

We are in TX. We aren't CLOSE to them but it smells like burnt plastic outside now. It STINKS due to fires all around us....however; I am not complaining because I'm so thankful to be smelling it and not living through it. *knock on wood*

sew4fun
by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 1:42 AM

We are in Texas too. There are fires all around us but thankfully most of them are pretty far away.

cedailey
by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 1:59 AM

We live in Bastrop County TX where the biggest one is, we have been evacuated as have most of my friends and relatives.  I do still have a home to go home to, once the barricades go down, fire missed by 1 block.  It's bad, last update I saw was 600 homes completely gone, 34,000 acres destroyed, the main fire is over 25 miles x 20 miles in size.  For those of you that can't picture that, pretend that the state of Connecticut just ceased to exist. 0% contained, they say it may be another week.

Kaylon
by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 8:01 AM

Quoting sew4fun:

We are in Texas too. There are fires all around us but thankfully most of them are pretty far away.

Same here.  My husband woke me up at 1:30am to tell me he smelt smoke (we had the windows openned).  Scared me!!  I got up and went outside just to check and see if I could see anything.  Very smokey!  Must had been coming from all the fires around us and south of us.  

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2011 at 8:03 AM

I am in Florida, and feel for you all.  We experienced that a few years back.  My brother, who lives in California, lost everything he had in the fires they had there.  He said he misses photos more than anything.  Luckily, he had sent me copies of some, so I was able to help him and his daughter replace some of them.

Take care all.

Kaylon
by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 8:04 AM

Quoting cedailey:

We live in Bastrop County TX where the biggest one is, we have been evacuated as have most of my friends and relatives.  I do still have a home to go home to, once the barricades go down, fire missed by 1 block.  It's bad, last update I saw was 600 homes completely gone, 34,000 acres destroyed, the main fire is over 25 miles x 20 miles in size.  For those of you that can't picture that, pretend that the state of Connecticut just ceased to exist. 0% contained, they say it may be another week.

I have been watching the Bastrop County fire through the internet.  I am glad your home is okay.  Everytime I come in my home I thank the Lord above for my home and everything he has given me.   My heart goes out to everyone in Bastrop :-(  Keep your head up high!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)