Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Spelling suggestions

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM
  • 7 Replies

I need a good spelling curriculum for my dd.  She is in 2nd grade and she reads and spells very well.  We started using Spelling workout, but it is way to easy. I am thinking about abeka. Any suggestions would be great.

by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
oredeb
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 7:51 PM
abeka is a good choice!!
mynameismuerte
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 9:35 PM

I'm loving All About Spelling.  She'd probably fly through the first level or 2 but it's a really great program.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 6, 2011 at 10:06 PM
Spelling Power is great for good spellers. It builds confidence y giving a pretest and they only work on words they miss. DS loved this. They progress at their own pace.

We are trying All About Spelling with my DD because I've heard good things about it and it was free. But I will keep using SP with DS
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tmgonz
by Member on Sep. 6, 2011 at 10:41 PM

If we get abeka what level should we start on?

swim-mom72
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 11:20 PM

If she is already a good speller, then I think she may be bored with Abeka. I thought it was kinda on the thin side. This is our first year to use BJU and I love it. I wish we would have tried it sooner.

smc0178
by on Sep. 6, 2011 at 11:22 PM

We use All About Spelling..we tried Abeka for a little while but we didn't like it

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2011 at 7:58 AM

Sequential Spelling was developed for the dyslexic child, but works well with all children.  They teach root words, and then add on prefixes and suffixes to expand the child's abilities...it works very well.

If your child likes workbooks Sequential Spelling will work for them.  However if you want to but it to a game, This page: Phonics Rules (scroll down to the second yellow highlighted text), explains how to do that..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)