Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you set timers?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM
  • 5 Replies

My first grader is pretty much a perfectionist. She also LOVES doing any type of work and never seems to be ready to move  along to the next assignment. She will spend so much time making sure everything is perfect.  This is opposite of my son who rushes through everything.  He does his best to get out of any type of work.. I'm having problems telling one of them to speed up and it doesn't need to be perfect while at the same time telling the other one to slow down and put forth a  good effort.  I promised my son when we started homeschooling I wouldn't use a timer. This is what actually ended up turning him off of learning in public school. Things moved fast there, and he grew frustrated.  But, I think this might be the only way to get these two on pace.

by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2011 at 10:42 AM

I set a timer if my first grader needs help focusing but I don't use it consistantly. Would it work to add a fun subject or snack at the end, the rule being that his work has to be neat and she has to be done within a certain time frame?

oredeb
by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 10:53 AM

ive used timers but made it like a game, with a prize at the end!

GraceNoahsmom
by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Hi,

I think it would be ok to use one for your daughter if she is taking too much time.  You might want to give her an incentive for completing her work within a certain time frame.  Just a thought.  Both of mine want to get done asap so I don't use timers, except for reading, so they do enough.  Good luck!

Terri bouncing momLoving What I Do!

SCmomof3girls
by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 8:51 PM

I did at first, but it got frusterating. Now I don't make a big deal if one gets done before the other...that one just gets a little more of a break between subjects, or gets to move onto the next subject. It seems to work itself out throughout the day (or has thusfar) and they end up finishing about the same time anyways. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 7, 2011 at 9:11 PM
I sometimes have to use timers for morning chores. We are working on dawdling. She will take an hour to brush her teeth if I let her. I did have to give her a "5 more minutes" warning yesterday because she is a perfectionist also and takes forever perfecting things on handwriting or math.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)