Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Science,History,Geography

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 3:21 PM
  • 5 Replies

What do you recomend for preK-K ? I know nothing to complex but I think she would like all of these subjects I just do not know what to teach on each subject. Any ideas ?

by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
oredeb
by debbie on Sep. 7, 2011 at 7:11 PM

science- go outside and look for some bugs, put some in a jar to observe everyday, let her give it a name, feed it, talk to her about it, tell her some facts(simple ones) let her draw a picture of it, you can help her write something about it,

make up some unit studies- ladybugs, make a cut out one, let her put it together, tell her the body parts, look for one out side

both of you go out and collect leaaves, talk about what trees they are from, show her, make a poster of them w/ the name of tree they are from, get wax paper and make a place mat out of them

same thing unit study- butterflies, get a butterfly net, count how many you see, etc

simple things like that for science

now history you can read simple stories with her, she can draw things from the story,  find a easy craft, christian liberty has some neat books about childrens history and the library has great history small books for kids

geography- this can combine science and geography

make a huge huge map (just a hand drawn one of the outline of the world will do, doenst have to be perfect, be sure to put on all the continents) teach her the names of the continents, let her make name cards or you can do it, to pin on the certain continent they belong to, repitition (so dont do it just once) then with same map you can look up certain animals for each of these continents and draw them or find a picture on interent, have child help cut them out and color if needed and place them on the map where they come from, also be sure to put name of animal.

geography- teach dd about things around your town, make a big map put your home on it and your friends she knows, stores, where dad works , streets etc let her color or paint it, put some roads on it and she can play with it with a small car.

teach her about your state and show her where it is on the map

science- if you have a pet have her learn to take care of it

talking about the weather, the sun, the moom and stars - helps her to notice them and whats going on around her.

history- teach her about holidays http://www.enchantedlearning.com/Home.html

theres also some geography etc stuff on here thats good to use, some of its free, but if you sign up for it, its well worth it, ive had it for years. cost money if you want to use the whole program 20 dollars

science- learn farm animals, color, draw them, visist a farm, heres something fun http://www.yourchildlearns.com/farm.htm

you can also make a town and village here and the best of all learn about geography here with fun games well worth it  http://www.yourchildlearns.com/owlmouse.htm#Crafts

you can put up a time line to get everything straight in which order things were invented or happened etc

geography- put on the wall a map of united state(poster) and when you call out a name of a state have child run to map and find it(when she knows them better this is fun)

MommaTasha1003
by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 7:57 PM

I checked out a 5 senses project book & we spend a week on doing that (she smelled different food with her eyes blind folded. Tasted different juices with her nose plugged. Played games that tricked the eyes)

Every week we read about 1 animal (fiction & non fiction books), and classify it on our Classification wall (Alligator, Turn the letter A into an Alligator, printed out a picture of an alligator & put it under the Reptile section on our classification wall). Also when we did alligator I checked out a book about Reptiles..

History- So far we just read fun books like Johnny Appleseed. There is also a show on Netflix called "Liberty's Kids" that is very good..

letteroftheweek.com has some awesome ideas if you want to focus on 1 letter of a week. It will give you books, songs, crafts, history, geography, music.. almost ANYTHING to do with the letter!

GraceNoahsmom
by on Sep. 7, 2011 at 8:35 PM

For that age I did the 5 senses, community helpers, plants, all about me, 4 seasons.  That's all I could think of...oh also animals.  You could also read books about the different patriotic holidays and our flag.  Keep it simple...lots of hands on I think.  Try some science experiments like sink/float, and plant seeds in clear plastic cups and so you can see the roots growing.  Good luck!

Terri bouncing momLoving What I Do!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 7, 2011 at 9:13 PM
Um yeah, what Debbie said. Lol
I was going to add that when you read books, look up the places you are reading about on the map, show here where it is compared to where you are, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sew4fun
by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 1:50 PM

So awesome ! Thank you all !!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)