Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Division question?

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 5:21 PM
  • 9 Replies

My DS knows his multiplication facts inside and out.  He knows how to divide, if he sees the line with the dot on the top and bottom.  He has trouble with the long division, he understands the remainders, and how to do the problem, but has trouble remembering to put the number in the corrrect space.  

For example if the problem is 360/3 he will put the 1 in the right spot, but then when he gets to the next number he will look at it say 3 will go into six 2 times, but instead of the putting the 2 on the top, he will put it underneath where you subtract, then he gets all frustrated.  So my question is should I make him do the long division until he has it down, or just let it be since he does know how to divide, he is in 5th grade this year.  Thank  you.

Gevie 

by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mom2queenie2004
by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 5:28 PM

I would work with him more. Try Khan Academy. Search for it online, it is free and helps a lot with math issues.

swim-mom72
by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Drawing the lines to form the place value columns helped me youngest when he struggled with this.

oredeb
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM

what happens if he has a remainer ???

misselphaba
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Graph paper helped me.  I would do the same thing, but for whatever reason, having the separate little squares helped me remember where to put everything. 

noraa21
by Member on Sep. 9, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Quoting oredeb:

what happens if he has a remainer ???

He knows what to do with remainders, and he knows how to double check the answer to see if he got it right by doing multiplication.  He just wants to put the nuber that should go on top underneath. 

oredeb
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 8:50 PM

yea!! this does help!! keeps everything lined up and in order! and plenty of practice!

Quoting misselphaba:

Graph paper helped me.  I would do the same thing, but for whatever reason, having the separate little squares helped me remember where to put everything. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2011 at 4:45 PM

hmmm, I would just have him keep practicing.

bugfree
by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Great idea!!  I always put the number in the wrong space and would have LOVED graph paper.   I used a different color pencil and made dotted lines to help organize the numbers.  My teachers in school never seemed to mind if it helped get me the right answer. 

Quoting oredeb:

yea!! this does help!! keeps everything lined up and in order! and plenty of practice!

Quoting misselphaba:

Graph paper helped me.  I would do the same thing, but for whatever reason, having the separate little squares helped me remember where to put

mamaof2n1angel
by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 8:52 PM

I also would  work with  him more.. khan Academy is great  and free

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)