Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you give rewards to your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

do you give rewards for finishing work, getting a project done, etc??

what do you give rewards for?? and what kind of rewards do you give if you do?

by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 10:55 AM
Replies (11-18):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 10, 2011 at 5:42 PM
We used to. It took a ton to get Sean motivated and into school work. He used get a sticker per half sheet or partial assignment. If he earmed a total of 10 stickers in a day he got to pick a reward.

Rewards were choice of a movie in the evening, choice of a board game with DH and I, selection of min course for dinner, extra video game time, can't think of what else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rcj176
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 2:32 AM

You know....today was the first time I had picked up any kind of reward for the children.  We took the week off this week b/c I have been ill.  They have shown great patience and compassion to me.  Today was the first day I really have been out for awhile.  I was at the Dollar Tree and saw some cute autumn themed treat bags and I went through bought cute erasers, pencils and sharpeners, a candy bar, some little trinket like things.  I will divide it all up and have it as a surprise for the kids on Monday morning.  Whatever is left I want to create a treasure box type setup for end of the week.  I thought of making a check list for them with their lesson planners.  And have them check off for daily work, corrections...that sort of thing... I don't know, what do you think?

Esam
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I use reward stickers as well and my son loves them.  I also use fake money that my son must earn in order to earn tv time, wii, or his dsi.  But believe me he gets nothing until he has earned it.  LOL sometimes at the end of the day when he is finished and he has spent his money we allow him to pay and rent for example the computer. 5 dollars for 30 minutes of computer.  This is teaching not only money but how to save and only spend what is necessary.  Also my hubby and I set a time limit.  The bank closes at a certain time every day to teach time and responsibility.  Good luck ladies and may all our kids but well educated people......

mom2queenie2004
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 12:54 PM

My kids are required to do things, like school work, because that is what they do. If they choose not to do it or decide to fight me every step of the way a punishment is applied.

I have done things to show appreciation from time to time though. On days when I get a migraine and the kids take care to be quiet, self-reliant and they get along... I notice they are trying, so I point it out and tell them the next day we will go to the park or do something to spend time together.

Each child has a jar and we fill them with cotton balls. When it is empty they decide what a full jar is for... trip to ChuckECheese, a day at the park, a trip to the local indoor pool...etc

They get cotton balls for all sorts of things, again things I notice about them. The other day their dad took them to a local church having a festival...we assumed it would be free or cheap. We were wrong. So daddy had to let them know they could each pick one thing out of the dozens of things to do. They did. No arguement. No whining. no tears. They are 7 and 5, so I think that is a big deal. They got cotton balls for that.

If we are out some place and a stranger compliments them on their behavior, they get cotton balls.

If I notice one being loving, helpful and heartfelt to the other she will get a cotton ball.

Once the jar is full we do what was planned.

AbundanceMagnet
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 7:44 PM

I tend to buy them nice things when they are eyeballing them and least expect it.... usually I throw in a compliment of how helpful or good they have been lately.  We tried the allowance thing but honestly I have a hard time holding up to it more than they do.  LOL 

hlbhembree
by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 10:39 AM

This is kind of the system that we recently decided to start.  In fact, we are going to the store later today to pick up the jars and such to start this reward system.   They will get a cotton ball for following instructions well, picking up after them selves, being nice to one another, etc.  However, on the flip side of that they loose one for being disobedient, mean, etc.

Quoting mom2queenie2004:

My kids are required to do things, like school work, because that is what they do. If they choose not to do it or decide to fight me every step of the way a punishment is applied.

I have done things to show appreciation from time to time though. On days when I get a migraine and the kids take care to be quiet, self-reliant and they get along... I notice they are trying, so I point it out and tell them the next day we will go to the park or do something to spend time together.

Each child has a jar and we fill them with cotton balls. When it is empty they decide what a full jar is for... trip to ChuckECheese, a day at the park, a trip to the local indoor pool...etc

They get cotton balls for all sorts of things, again things I notice about them. The other day their dad took them to a local church having a festival...we assumed it would be free or cheap. We were wrong. So daddy had to let them know they could each pick one thing out of the dozens of things to do. They did. No arguement. No whining. no tears. They are 7 and 5, so I think that is a big deal. They got cotton balls for that.

If we are out some place and a stranger compliments them on their behavior, they get cotton balls.

If I notice one being loving, helpful and heartfelt to the other she will get a cotton ball.

Once the jar is full we do what was planned.

oredeb
by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 11:02 AM

great idea rcj!!

Quoting Rcj176:

You know....today was the first time I had picked up any kind of reward for the children.  We took the week off this week b/c I have been ill.  They have shown great patience and compassion to me.  Today was the first day I really have been out for awhile.  I was at the Dollar Tree and saw some cute autumn themed treat bags and I went through bought cute erasers, pencils and sharpeners, a candy bar, some little trinket like things.  I will divide it all up and have it as a surprise for the kids on Monday morning.  Whatever is left I want to create a treasure box type setup for end of the week.  I thought of making a check list for them with their lesson planners.  And have them check off for daily work, corrections...that sort of thing... I don't know, what do you think?

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I reward with points that at the end of the week she can "spend" on prizes she chose that hubby and I agreed with. Each prize tho is worth so many points so she has to save up for a month if she wants some of the more costly ones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)