Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

For someone just starting out teaching their child(ren) to read/phonics, what would you recommend?

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM
  • 21 Replies

what would you recommend using? and why?  for teaching phonics/reading

by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 9, 2011 at 11:28 AM
I'm not sure. Julia kind of taught herself. I guess we helped by always doing the "b says buh" thing, and helping her sound letters out, sliding our finger under the words as we read, and reading ALL THE TIME. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SCmomof3girls
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 12:02 PM

My oldest learned using www.starfall.com. She is a self learner, I had to do very little to teach her for reading, which was awesome and totally left me unprepared for my middle daughter. Second DD learned mostly in school. I am currently teaching my soon to be 4 year old. We are using homemade flashcards. I have the word on top, and then the letters seperated out in boxes under it so we can use phonics to sound each part out. This is the first week we started it, and she has read at and cat, and today we are working on bat. I read somewhere that using rhyming words helps them somehow, lol, so I am doing that.

sew4fun
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I have hooked on phonics that I picked up at half price books for around $8. Josie does not like it very much though. I also have a schoolastic's phonics with Clifford the dog she likes much better.

sew4fun
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Oh and I am also singing little songs with her that we are making up that have the sounds of the letters

BusCaptainMama
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 12:26 PM
If you're looking for a curriculum, Abeka has a great phonics program.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maridel
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Bathtub letters!! Honestly thats how my oldest learned her letters, sounds, and how to put the basics together (pat, rat, fat, etc...) lol besides that we used flashcards, lepfrog videos and games, and she played on starfall.com but those were mostly after she already knew most letters sounds. Then we did Teach your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

GraceNoahsmom
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 8:06 PM

If you like videos, there is a video called Here Come the ABC's.  It's a whole bunch of songs all about the letters.  Also, we use a guided reading program online called reading A-Z.  You pay for the year and can print as many leveled books as you like, with many other resources too.  I love it!  Things I did with my two in pre k /k was intorduced a letter and gave them a box of various items from the house, some that start with the letter we were learning and some that did not start with it, they had to sort the items out to find all the objects that begin with that letter.  Good hands on activity.  I also tried to include poems that dealt with that letter.  For example for the letter B we did a bubble poem ( I made it up, but can be found online.)  Then we would blow bubbles or bubble paint or stuff like that.  Hope this helps.

Terribouncing momLoving What I Do!

mommiemomma
by New Member on Sep. 10, 2011 at 8:15 AM
We are using clickn read phonics, which is a computer based phonics program. It has been great for my son.
bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Sep. 10, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I taught Lucy to read with The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Your Child to Read. I borrowed it form the library. I love that book. It is very basic and super easy to use and follow.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2011 at 4:33 PM

I need to check some of these out since Cole and I are fumbling a bit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN