Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Accountable Kids...Workbox System...Love it!

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 8:37 PM
  • 10 Replies

Just thought I share something that is really working for us.  Just some background info first...we have 2 children, Grace who is 8 and Noah who is 5.  My daughter is one who needs to know and see what is expected and likes to visually see what is left to do.  School work would never be her first choice of things to do and we have struggled with her for years to get her work accomplished and there was always tears and complaining and it was so frustrating.  Well, we have found two wonderful programs that are very visual to help her stay on track...my son loves them too even though he probably wouldn't need them. 

The first is Sue Patrick's Workbox system.  Basically all of their curriculum is laid out into clear plastic boxes that sit on a shelf next to their table.  Each day my kids can see exactly what they need to accomplish and as they complete each box, they turn it around.  They then know how much is left to do.  This made a huge change in my daughter's behavior because she knew exactly what to expect and she felt more in control.  Of course it didn't make everything 100% beter, but it was a huge change and so much less of a struggle.

The second system has made our days even better.  We just started the "Accountable Kids" program.  It is a glorified chore chart / reward system.  It is made to be as simple or complex as you want it and it is very visual.  As my kids complete there morning/afternoon/evening chores, they receieve tickets that can be used for rewards that the parent decides.  Wow!  My daughter, who would usually complain all morning and procrastinate to the point of me pulling my hair out and wishing the bus would stop at our house, now gets up and gets dressed, and completes her chores (feeding her fish, putting clothes away, praying, eating breakfast, taking her medicine) all within 30 minutes.  It's incredible.  As each chore is completed, they remove the chore card to the" completed" peg on the chart.  It's awesome!  My son even takes his vitamin without a peep because he knows that he will not get a ticket if he doesn't.

I highly recommend that anyone struggling with "getting it together" check out these programs.  Both are very versatile and can work with any size family and any size home/budget.  They have been a true blessing to me and my family.

http://www.workboxsystem.com/

http://www.accountablekids.com/

Terri busy momLoving What I Do!

by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Sep. 9, 2011 at 8:51 PM

fantastic!!! ive heard of other using these programs also for same reason!

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Thanks for sharing 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2011 at 4:38 PM

I need to set up my own workboxes for the year. 8) I love them! I use a slight;y modified version, though.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 10, 2011 at 8:04 PM
We are loving using a workbox type system. I'm sure we aren't doing it exactly the way it is supposed to be done, but it is working for us!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conweis
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 1:01 AM

I will have to try it out

wright1212
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Those look really neat. I am to frugal to spend that much money. But love the idea of the challenge of making my own version of the systems. I already found a great cart with trays for work boxes, but it cost $100. For the chore system I like the idea of color coding for time of day. Just need to create a word doc with a good format and print on card stock! Might need to find that book very neat concepts! Family Meeting!!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 11, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I use four sets of the plastic three drawer towers that Walmart has on sale this time of year. They cost me $5 each last year when the went on clearance.

SuperFlyKy
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Thank you for sharing, I am going to try this system with my 5 year old daughter starting tomorrow.

AbundanceMagnet
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Awesome, thanks for sharing!!!!

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2011 at 2:35 PM

I am loving the accountable kids program. I am going to have dh review it with me later and we might possibly add this to our family 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN