Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Looking for a good math curriculum, desperate, help please. (PIOG)

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 12:19 PM
  • 17 Replies

I'm desperate, I am trying to find a good math curriculum that is easy to teach and has the lessons already laid out for you.  So far I am on strike two for math.  I got systematic math, and there is no instructors guide or how to teach it, just a book full of math problems, can't get the DVD set until he is in 6th grade, (he's a 5th grader now).  Second one I got was Singapore math, and I really am not liking how it looks, the instructor guides are more confusing to me, than having nothing at all.

So here is what I am looking for, since I suck at math to start with, I need something that is easy to teach, or has CD'/videos, etc that show you how to do it, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, around $100 or less.  My DS loves math and seems to pick up concepts fairly quickly, but I still want something that uses more of a mastery based system, rather than a spiral based system.  We are starting our second week and I really need to get something fairly quick.  Right now we are just reviewing and working on some things that he seems to have trouble with, but he seems to have that down now, so I am desperate to get something really soon.  Thank you. 

by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 12:42 PM

have you looked at used abeka or bob jone?

try khan acad. http://www.khanacademy.org/

teaching textbooks http://teachingtextbooks.com/

life of fred  http://lifeoffredmath.com/

MommaTasha1003
by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Have you looked at math you see? they have a good website & you can youtube a few videos as well.

its mastery & the teaching is done on a dvd (some parents watch the dvd alone to get ideas, then teach their child, some parents watch dvd with child & then carry on from there, and when they are old enough a child can almost be left to do it all on their own.. it also comes with a teachers workbork that is very simple.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 10, 2011 at 5:15 PM
We love math u see. It is mastery and the instructor is on DVD with a teachers manual that also explains the lesson in case there are questions.

Coming in at fifth grade shouldn't be an issue but I would start with the multiplication book and move on. Even if he knows it, it will build hid foundation and he can move at his own pace.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 10, 2011 at 7:59 PM
We are actually enjoying Saxon math, and I was iffy about it in the beginning. It's all laid out, scripted even, and tells you what you need for each lesson, etc. We are finished with our second week, and have had no issues (other than it being review at the moment).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 10, 2011 at 8:01 PM
Just saw you wanted mastery with videos, I believe Saxon is spiral, and no videos. We are supplementing with a really cool program called mathtacular. It was created by a homeschool teen boy, who is the main person in the videos, but he does a really good job at explaining. I'm not sure what level their stuff goes up to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conweis
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 12:55 AM

I use mep math. Its free and comes with explanations on what you are suppose to do.

carolkey74
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 8:27 AM
Life of Fred is awesome! My kids started it last week. It's great for kids who love math, kids who hate math, and everybody in between. It's presented in story form, so you're able to see math applied to real life.
buzymom93
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Math U See is great!!  it has videos and the teacher's manual is very explanatory... check out their website.. it has samples too..

Christian Homeschooling Mamma to two wonderful, busy, animal loving boys... Mario, 18yrs, and Isaiah, 6yrs

Check out my blog:    http://ourcrazyhomeschoollife.blogspot.com/

AbundanceMagnet
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 7:37 PM

We love Math U see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 11, 2011 at 7:38 PM

I piece together my own so I'm going to be any help. Good luck finding one that fits!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)