Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Looking for a good math curriculum, desperate, help please. (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm desperate, I am trying to find a good math curriculum that is easy to teach and has the lessons already laid out for you.  So far I am on strike two for math.  I got systematic math, and there is no instructors guide or how to teach it, just a book full of math problems, can't get the DVD set until he is in 6th grade, (he's a 5th grader now).  Second one I got was Singapore math, and I really am not liking how it looks, the instructor guides are more confusing to me, than having nothing at all.

So here is what I am looking for, since I suck at math to start with, I need something that is easy to teach, or has CD'/videos, etc that show you how to do it, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, around $100 or less.  My DS loves math and seems to pick up concepts fairly quickly, but I still want something that uses more of a mastery based system, rather than a spiral based system.  We are starting our second week and I really need to get something fairly quick.  Right now we are just reviewing and working on some things that he seems to have trouble with, but he seems to have that down now, so I am desperate to get something really soon.  Thank you. 

by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 12:19 PM
Replies (11-17):
ballerina.2006
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 7:43 PM
I am using Right Start. Its perfect for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vegiemama
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 11:43 PM

We're using http://www.mathonlineus.com/, which is fairly new in the US but has been around in Australia for a few years.  You watch a video and then do the lesson, and it seems like it moves slow enough to allow for mastery. 

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2011 at 5:35 AM

I highly recommend Math U See.  It is easy for parents and children to understand.  Very hands on for the younger children, and videos for the older ones.

:ike most of the curriculum I recommend, it was developed by a home school  parent  who saw how ineffective the available stuff was.

oredeb
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:17 PM

did you find your math program nora??

noraa21
by Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Quoting oredeb:

did you find your math program nora??

Yes and no.  We are just doing review right now, but I have decided to sign him up for the k12 online school, so they will have the math for him. 

Me doing homeschool on my own is not working out as well as I would like, and my DS has the idea that no matter what I do, or tell him he doesn't have to try and do his best work. 

misselphaba
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Math U See is fantastic!  We were using it last year and my son really loved it.  In fact, he was 7 last year, and barely needed my help at all.  I put the dvd on for him, he watched, did his work, and then brought it to me to check over.  That was it.  If he needed my help, he came and got me, but he rarely needed me.

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2011 at 9:09 AM

I like Math U See.  It is math parents and children understand.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)