Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone doing virtual online school with homeschooling??

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 3:48 PM
  • 14 Replies

Its my first year for the online public school and though we have 3 pkgs. being delivered on monday for use with online school , we already have some lessons online. Its expected that between online use, home studies and home projects we will spend 7-8 hrs. teaching/learning a day, I am the main teacher but have online help when needed, access to a teacher if/when I may need advice,........online sessions I can pick from for people in/out of my area using same program and chat about how things are going,get ideas,......and best of all the projects/ curriculum  all sent to me FREE. We are doing kindergarten .

I think I am going to love this way but, anyone else using same program as K12 let me know how its working out for you, it seems  too good to be without issues,lol. or maybe I really am pessimistic.

UPDATE: we got our pkgs., do they ever send a ton....good thing though and at first I thought      "oh man what did I get into here..." but its actually great, still learning some online things and I dont know why originally it was 7-8 hrs a day but his first schedule starts at 4 hrs, 4+, up to 6 hrs with understanding that some of that in first two weeks will be me getting adjudsted online.

by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Sep. 10, 2011 at 3:55 PM

This is our first year using Connection Academy. We have been independent homeschooling for two years. But for financial reasons we chose this route this year. Honestly I really like it !!! I have a kinder and a second grader. the materials and curriculum have been awesome. I have three children and having a 18 month old the lesson plans  have been wonderful.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2011 at 4:36 PM

good luck!

muhajjirah
by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

7-8 hours/day for KG????? isnt that a little too much time??

fygfitness_mom
by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 7:48 PM

We are Arizona Virtual Academy with k12 and we love it. In AZ the kinder requirement is two hours a day, first through third is four hours and it goes up to five hours in fourth grade.

It's the right choice for our family and we truly enjoy the school. It gives us the best of both worlds and a ton of support from a large network of people which helps ease my mind that I am in fact on track. It also helps with accountability, lazy days are few and far between.

tcollins11
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 6:31 PM

are you k12 we are doing 2nd grade wava ira great we are in seattle

AbundanceMagnet
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 7:28 PM

We did Connections Academy years ago and loved it honestly... With K our max was 4rs... I know they say full days but was not going to happen!  As long as our scheduler worked so everything would be done in the time it needed to be the teachers were really wonderful!  And we could include field trips as school days as well.  I tried to put my kids back in CA after a trial with public school and because of budget cuts we couldn't.... <ugh>  Please keep us updated with how things are going!!! <hugs>

noraa21
by Member on Sep. 13, 2011 at 6:58 PM

After one week of regular homeschooling, I have given up.  I am in the process of enrolling my son for the ORVA right now.  He tends to do better if he knows he has to answer to a "regular teacher".  For some reason he doesn't think he has to do his best work with me.  I can't get through to him that no matter where he does school he has to do his best.  It's not worth the hassle everyday, so I have decided to go this route and see what happens. 

kingkongsmom
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this

to  Abundancmagnet------thats too bad, I hope they get budget fixed. My understanding of things here is that, the online public thing helps because kids dropping out and many parents tired of school systems so they began private and/or homeschooling, 3 schools in INDPLS. are being taken over by charter schools and a 4th will be having charter overlook everything to see if reg. school can turn things around or need to be taken over completely, and in some areas schools are just being closed altogether. --------

I want to put a special thanks out there to all the Homeschoolers that have done this and kept it going through the years, once all the choice we had was pay for private school or deal with the system if we couldnt afford private ( years ago I did private for one son then homeschooled him another year before having to place him back into a messed up system), the original homeschoolers' and the ones that toughed it out regardless are the ones that paved the road for all of us today to have better choices now

My  little son gets to reap the harvest from all that hard work years before.bow down.

Danielle163
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Quoting muhajjirah:

7-8 hours/day for KG????? isnt that a little too much time??

I was wondering the same thing...............

oredeb
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM

wow kingkongsmoms thats a long time a day for kindergarten!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN