Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone doing virtual online school with homeschooling??

Posted by   + Show Post

Its my first year for the online public school and though we have 3 pkgs. being delivered on monday for use with online school , we already have some lessons online. Its expected that between online use, home studies and home projects we will spend 7-8 hrs. teaching/learning a day, I am the main teacher but have online help when needed, access to a teacher if/when I may need advice,........online sessions I can pick from for people in/out of my area using same program and chat about how things are going,get ideas,......and best of all the projects/ curriculum  all sent to me FREE. We are doing kindergarten .

I think I am going to love this way but, anyone else using same program as K12 let me know how its working out for you, it seems  too good to be without issues,lol. or maybe I really am pessimistic.

UPDATE: we got our pkgs., do they ever send a ton....good thing though and at first I thought      "oh man what did I get into here..." but its actually great, still learning some online things and I dont know why originally it was 7-8 hrs a day but his first schedule starts at 4 hrs, 4+, up to 6 hrs with understanding that some of that in first two weeks will be me getting adjudsted online.

by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 3:48 PM
Replies (11-14):
rglrtmmy
by on Sep. 17, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I have been doing this type of schooling with my daughter since kindergarten. From kinder to 3rd grade we were at Connections Academy. Halfway through the year last year we switched, for various reasons, to Ohio Virtual Academy (K12). She is in 4th grade this year.

This is my only option for now since I cannot afford to buy curriculum. This way I get what we need supplied and I can supplement with daily devotions and such.

Tammy

kingkongsmom
by on Sep. 29, 2011 at 12:11 AM

the full day for hrs. for us is counting breaks ,  and lunch ---- for phy. ed. we just walk/he bike rides usually and we stop during that to check for walnuts, and sometimes observe leaves changing colors now, abandoned bird nests,................we have a resting spot where I rest on a bench while he does circles around a planter and poles ( his personal bike race track he thinks)plus, we pull weeds, pick up litter in that area so we have a nice place to visit, the stores around that area strip mall appreciate the clean up help and LO learns how to keep even visiting areas Greener/Volunteer in our community. I also split our school day up there's morning, breaks, then evening, and days when we work from morning lunch then do afternoon instead of eveniing, depending...  its always me that needs a break not him. Only part he doesnt like is writing practices.

We may change everything all up a few times untill we find what works best for us.

FemaleRacer
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 3:27 AM

We do ORVA and LOVE it!

Schleetle
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 3:30 AM
We do k12, I like it, but can't stand answering to the "homeroom teacher". I do the majority of the teaching offline leading lessons then input results at the end of the day. If I homeschool next year, I'm not sure if I'll do k12 just because of the HR teacher aspect I really dislike that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)