Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you discussing 9/11

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 10:52 PM
  • 13 Replies

My kids are still fairly young, so I haven't gone too much into it.  But with all of the attention towards it, I need to address it.  We do not even have television and they have already picked up so much about it,  I can't imagine what it would be like if they saw all the coverage on tv..   We are going to a remembrance walk tomorrow, so I think we'll discus it a bit, but not too sure how much detail to go in.  Abcnews.com is showing the entire news day from that morning. I think someday when the kids are old enough, i'll have them watch that. They will get a feel of how the dayunfolded, but it was so early that it doesn't go into too much gruesome details.

by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sew4fun
by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 10:59 PM

I think my girls are too young still and Jo my 5yo is a worry wort so if I tell her she may freak out. I will answer any questions she may have though.

bugfree
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 2:05 AM

I talked to my children about it but not specifics.  I know I can't show them anything this year because my kids are very sensitive to the suffering or death of others. My kids feel pain when they see suffering...not all of my kids, but a couple.  It is hard to watch and even understand the pain my kids feel.  If my kids saw videos or photos I really think it would not be good, for anyone in the family. 

Rcj176
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 2:29 AM

My kids know the basics of what happened but we didn't go into detail.  Praying is what we plan on actively doing tomorrow.  Praying for our country.

Regge   Homeschooling Mom to 4 Great Kids!     Homeschool Blog

muhajjirah
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 6:01 AM
as a Muslimah I hope you wont be teaching your kids that Islam is the cause or the root of 9/11s happenings. if you mention religion please teach them what Islam teaches versus what being a Muslim means. know the differences between the terms and understand the differences between personal, religious &cultural differences. if you need any suggestions on how, pl feel free to pm me or come discuss over at MuslimMoms. we welcome everyone there& stick to the authentic sources of our faith, Holy Quran &Sunnah...

peace.
muhajjirah, MuslimMoms admin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
noraa21
by Member on Sep. 11, 2011 at 12:40 PM

My 10 y.o. DS freaks out to the point of making himself sick when ever this comes around.  We try to avoid it as much as possible.  He knows a lot of people lost their lives that day, he knows some of his uncles went to war, but beyond that we haven't gone into much else.  Maybe when he is older and and can deal with it better then we will, as I think it is important. 

He will also ask if "they" are going to come back and blow up our country again, are his uncles going to die in the war, is he going to have to go to war and die, so right now we just let it be.  Sorry if this offends anyone, but that is just what has to work for us for now, as I can't have him being sick for weeks on end before and after the anniversary.  He does prayer for everyone involved, but beyond that we don't do anything else.  Like I said I am hoping once he is older we can.   

FlyHippie
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 12:46 PM

I did it in history with my daughter in about 10th grade...but we learned ALL SIDES OF IT. We watched documentaries on it, looked up things on it. I will only give this advice if you do that: be open. you will not learn what you THINK you'll learn. You'll find out a lot of little fingers were in that event, that will make you want to cry.

It was actually MUCH more interesting of a study than the assassination of JFK. If that lets ya in on it. We stayed on the 9-11 attack FOREVER...she was mesmerized...so I haven't done it yet with my 13 year old because I know the world will stop here while he discovers things are not always as they seem. And I like to keep him thinking they kind of are, as long as i can...

FlyHippie
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Quoting muhajjirah:

as a Muslimah I hope you wont be teaching your kids that Islam is the cause or the root of 9/11s happenings. if you mention religion please teach them what Islam teaches versus what being a Muslim means. know the differences between the terms and understand the differences between personal, religious &cultural differences. if you need any suggestions on how, pl feel free to pm me or come discuss over at MuslimMoms. we welcome everyone there& stick to the authentic sources of our faith, Holy Quran &Sunnah...

peace.

LOVE THIS. You know, we did an entire study on the Islam religion simply due to the horrible media coverage. My son came up a couple of years ago and said "please teach me about Muslims. I want to learn something OTHER than what the news says because they say it's bad and you say it's not." And we did a huge study on the religion....

Which is a BEAUTIFUL religion....I learned so much when we did that lesson. Loved it. I would suggest that, too. Learn the beauty of the whole religion...all of the religions...they're all tied very closely to each other...and it's a great lesson...

FlyHippie
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Quoting muhajjirah:

peace.

Wait. But I think I need clarification on one thing...I thought the religion was islam, and a person who practiced it was a Muslim? Are they different? (you piqued my interest on that one sentence! LOL!)

Esam
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 1:13 PM

peace.

Mashallah sister I too am Muslim and hope and pray that everyone can gain an understanding of our Religion.  We Promote Peace.....There are extreme's in every Religion but the media has blown up this day.  I'm so sorry and pray always for the families who lost loved ones but there were people lost from other Religion's on that day not just 1 Religion, we lost Muslim sisters and brothers as well.  May God rest their soul's in peace.  Thanks for all you do

muhajjirah
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Quoting FlyHippie:

Quoting muhajjirah:

peace.

LOVE THIS. You know, we did an entire study on the Islam religion simply due to the horrible media coverage. My son came up a couple of years ago and said "please teach me about Muslims. I want to learn something OTHER than what the news says because they say it's bad and you say it's not." And we did a huge study on the religion....

Which is a BEAUTIFUL religion....I learned so much when we did that lesson. Loved it. I would suggest that, too. Learn the beauty of the whole religion...all of the religions...they're all tied very closely to each other...and it's a great lesson...

Thank you so much for your detailed response here FlyHippie :) I couldnt agree with you more that the 3 Abarahamic Faiths are very close in similiarity. Islam acknowledges that the Torah was indeed revealed from GOD, like the Gospel was too..and many other Prophets/Messengers have existed..all with 1 same Message from the 1 same God..Islam coming with the Final Revelation from God, the Holy Quran. We believe that its people who have made differences in their ways..but all stem from the same Source and this is the reason we see so many commonalities if we study the correct teachings of these religions.

If you your your son would ever like to learn more or discuss with other Muslims about our faith, then please do feel welcome to join us at MM where we have moms/women from all sorts of religions, and none too :)

Thanks again for your warm reply..

Peace to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN