Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to start ? and for how long?

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 11:03 PM
  • 12 Replies

Should I go all out and do the full day ? Or should I start out slower? SHe is 5 and her sissy is 2. I was thinking 2-4 hours a day 4-5 days a week would be enough . Is that enough of should I do more ? I know it is kinda iffy now I just want to see how fast she works first.

by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carolkey74
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 8:33 AM
I say just go with the flow. Since she's only 5, I wouldn't think about hours just yet. She's going to learn just as much by watching you. I would start out with small segments (maybe 15 or 20 minutes), and see what happens. Good luck!
wright1212
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Here we must do 4 hours a day. But for my first grader we still do lots of the extras to count such as dance, scouts, playing xbox (kinectamals). I think slow to work into the routine, go for 10-15min a subject. Start with a good group thing like a book.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 11, 2011 at 11:09 AM

This. In a classroom, Kinders don't even do four hours. The squeeze in, maybe, an hour and a half of learning in the half day they are there. Most of K is spent learning how to 'be' at school, and not so much about learning. Once you subtract all the time it takes 30 kids to sit down, recess, snack, get their supplies, take attendance, etc and so on, it's not a lot of work.

Quoting carolkey74:

I say just go with the flow. Since she's only 5, I wouldn't think about hours just yet. She's going to learn just as much by watching you. I would start out with small segments (maybe 15 or 20 minutes), and see what happens. Good luck!

SuperFlyKy
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 1:19 PM

I have a 5 year old daughter who started Kindergarten this year and we only do about 2 hours of work a day and we have school Mon-Thur, then on Friday we just have a learning book or movie and an art project. I think 4 hours of work is too much for a 5 year old and for mom. I think you will run out of things to do. My 2 hours of teaching usually includes 2 workbooks 20 pgs in 1 and 6 in the other and games or puzzles.

Maridel
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2011 at 5:30 PM

I agree with above posters, an hour to an hour and a half a day is plenty for a kindergartener. We only do 3 days a week so we take almost 2 hours, then a science day

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Agreed.  You must remember that your child is learning all the time anyways.  An hour or so of "sit down" work would be plenty. 

Quoting Maridel:

I agree with above posters, an hour to an hour and a half a day is plenty for a kindergartener. We only do 3 days a week so we take almost 2 hours, then a science day

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 7:31 PM

I also would suggest not even thinking about hours just yet... just go with the flow, let her do workpages, etc until she seems done.  With my one son who catches on really fast (7) we sometimes are only siting down for 45minutes... and in that time he breezes through 10-12 pages sometimes!!!

sew4fun
by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Thank you ladies.

oredeb
by debbie on Sep. 12, 2011 at 11:51 AM

when i first started we did 2 hours a day and as the kids got older it went to 3-4 hours a day.  we are usually done by 12 every day now!

luvthesoap
by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I would go for a hour a day at that age. My son is 17 & we do school for about 3 hours a day.

Betty in KY

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)