Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How to start ? and for how long?

Posted by   + Show Post

Should I go all out and do the full day ? Or should I start out slower? SHe is 5 and her sissy is 2. I was thinking 2-4 hours a day 4-5 days a week would be enough . Is that enough of should I do more ? I know it is kinda iffy now I just want to see how fast she works first.

by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 11:03 PM
Replies (11-12):
LindaClement
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 3:38 PM

That's an enormous amount. You do know that in terms of 'direct instruction' grade 5 students get 10 minutes a day, right?

Most of kindergarten is broken up into 10 minute pieces (5, for some, they have short attention spans)... with anything book-like being done for one or two slots a day ---and 3/4 of that being re-explaining what has just been explained to the 4 who weren't paying attention, and another 1/4 is spent managing the 'sitting still for 4 minutes' part...

The research is clear: kids learn the most, and the best, through play. Making 2-4 hours of dedicated playing time in a day would be a great idea.

lau55
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 5:30 PM

This is our first year of actual school as well, 5 years old doing K-1 grade work.  She loves book work and connect the dots. So we can fill up  a hours worth of work pretty quickly.

Also part of school day is reading "encyclopedia" books.

Right now she is having a snack and watching a National Geographic dinosaur movie.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)