Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Teaching the letter/sound correspondence in words PIOG

Posted by   + Show Post

My 4 yr old knows and understands that each letter has its own sound and can write many words. She play with sounds and words and rhymes, etc. I am working on teaching her the concepts beyond that to teach reading and writing. She does ok with writing when she and I are working together and she is telling me what sounds she hears, etc but the reading is a bit lost on her. She identifies the individual letters and their sounds but the blending is tough. She generally inserts a few extra letters/sounds and makes up another word. I am thinking word families might help her with this a bit but that still identifies a group of letters together and adding one or two to the beginning, etc so I am not sure. Any tips? She wants to and gets excited when we work on it and I think that is part of it... she is too excited and moves too quickly.  I am trying to come up with a way to help her more with this and get her solid with the concept... once she gets that, she is just going to take off with reading and she is so excited about it but we have this hump... Thanks!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickersBreastfeeding tickers" />
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 6:39 PM
Replies (11-16):
Mom71307
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 7:00 AM

That would make sense but she is not doing that... she pronounces them properly with no extra sounds... she is going too fast I think. I am making some letter tiles that we will be able to manipulate and hopefully that will help with the concept!

Quoting romacox:

It may  simply be that she is not quite ready, and in that case, it is a matter of patience.  However if a child knows all their phonic sounds, but is having trouble blending them to form words, it is very often because they are enunciating some of the sounds incorrectly.

For example: If they pronounce the letter d as du they sound it out as du-a-du-y making it hard for them to hear daddy.  It does not effect all children, but does many.  This video explains:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickersBreastfeeding tickers" />
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Do you have a Scrabble board? Maybe you could play with that a bit, with easier rules. Just something different to do. 8)

oredeb
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 12:42 PM

good idea!!

Quoting mem82:

Do you have a Scrabble board? Maybe you could play with that a bit, with easier rules. Just something different to do. 8)

Mom71307
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 12:59 PM

YES and YES!

Quoting oredeb:

good idea!!

Quoting mem82:

LindaClement
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Nothing is going to help her understand that the shwa (upside down e in pronunciation guides) can be spelled 128 different ways in English... or that 'ough' is pronounced 19 different ways.

Phonetics only works to an extremely limited extent, after which a great deal of 'yeah, it looks like it should be said like that' correction is necessary until the learner gets used to the idea that 100% of the rules they've learned are inaccurate the majority of the time.

Reading together a lot, so she becomes familiar with the shapes of words and their letter order, from real books --not contrived ones that work hard to make it look like phonetics really does work in English.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2011 at 9:09 PM

aw, shucks! LOL

Quoting Mom71307:

YES and YES!

Quoting oredeb:

good idea!!

Quoting mem82:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)