Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

public school expectations and why i homeschool

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 8:58 AM
  • 4 Replies

This thought came out in response in what to homeschool K during the day..I got so frustrated at the school last year we just had to homeschool. This is why. 

In response to public school K, our state is horendous on this. K goes full day from day 1 from 7:45 to 2:45. They do over 30 minutes of math and 30 of reading and I dont know how much phonics and other stuff. Then 30-45m of related (library, music, pe) 1 or 2x a day. Maybe 45m of outside sometimes. They are tested every month with an expectation to learn about 15 site words every 6 wks. They must also be able to add subtract 0-12 numbers by Jan. OH my favorite part was 15 worksheets a week of just plan ol filler activities. Why cant they do handson activities, or science experiments, or social building skills that are proven to provent violence as adults? Or how about just free play with preplanned activities and materials...whew..vent over sorry.

P.S. my daughter did great, it wasnt too hard for her, it was too easy and boring. she was in trouble daily for talking and playing too much, although her work was all done...

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Mom71307
by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 9:02 AM

That schedule is ridiculous with no hands on things! I can see why your daughter was bored! That also sounds a lot more like 1st grade work.... things are getting so complicated now in public schools... it is not helpful!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 10:40 AM
I'm right there with you!!!
oredeb
by debbie on Sep. 12, 2011 at 11:00 AM

crazy!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 12, 2011 at 12:26 PM
The quantity of worksheets dd brought home last year in public k was insane!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)