Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

hows school going??

things to try

things not to try

whats working and whats not?

by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 2:35 PM
Replies (21-27):
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2011 at 11:24 AM

It's going bette than I could have anticipated! We're only five weeks in, and 2 y.o. LO is picking up letters, numbers, shapes and colors more quickly than I hoped. His vocabulary is blooming, too, which is awesome, because he's speech delayed. I know it's silly, but every time he says a new word, I get teary-eyed and thank God. We're loving it so far!

I have learned that he works better with a split schedule. He likes some school after breakfast, some after lunch but before nap. Also, tying ordinary, daily things into his lessons became very natural really quickly. For instance, we can find our color or shape of the week while out walking, and our letter and number of the week when grocery shopping. LO feels proud of his success when he identifies something he has newly learned, and that just reinforces the lesson for him.

oredeb
by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 10:57 AM

this is our first day!!!

oredeb
by on Sep. 22, 2011 at 11:02 AM

this will be our 4th day!! having fun!! everyone is still excited!! yea!! hows yours?

LovemyQ
by on Sep. 26, 2011 at 7:43 AM

We started last week and some days it is rocky, some days smooth sailing. I have a kindergartner so I suppose that is to be expected.

my triumph: we had to go to his library program but he pouted and said he didn't want to go because he was having so much fun. 

reality: two days later he didn't want to work AT ALL, threw a fit, and we ended up not schooling that day. lol

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2011 at 10:10 AM

We're getting back on track, finally. 8)

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2011 at 10:22 AM

We are good.  Not much to report when you are unschooling.  LOL  My son has decided to teach himself the guitar ~ he's having fun with that.  They want to learn French, so we are going to start on that today. 

We are starting a new inventor next week.  We learned about Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak this month.  They are fairly boring guys.  LOL  They had/have some amazing ideas and the ability to get them realized, which makes them amazing, but their lives were pretty much like anyone else's. 

We learned about Georgia O'Keeffe this month, too.  Her life was interesting, but the kids do not enjoy looking at her art.  They are fairly bored by it.  They can look at it and say "yeah, that's pretty", but it doesn't grab them like some other artists have.  We read the "Getting to Know About" book about her and we ended up having a 20 minute conversation comparing and contrasting Georgia O'Keeffe and Mary Cassat (we read about her earlier in the year) completely naturally.  Some of the things the kids (8 and 5.5) were coming up with were just astounding.  We have a project to make for Georgia O'Keeffe if the kids want to.  I'm not entirely sure they will, bored as they were with her stuff. 

Our next artist is going to be Winslow Homer, I think.  Or maybe Monet.  He's always fun. 

We are going to be reading the book "The Story of the Orchestra" too.  It's fun. It comes with a cd and you listen to the tracks as you are reading the book. 

I think they had mentioned wanting to move onto another country to learn about.  Not sure what they'll pick.  Maybe Japan, since that's where our Little Passports is from right now. 

ETA: guess there was a lot to report.  LOL

oredeb
by on Sep. 26, 2011 at 11:00 AM

we are doing history of science, plants for our unit study, also reviewing on mt. saint helens this week, friday is when we are going, it looks like it will be raining since the rains have started! hope we dont get snowed out again! so disappointed we will be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)