Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Any book ideas or curr. ideas for American History-5th/6th grade level?

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 5:10 PM
  • 7 Replies

any book recommendations

crafts, ideas, unit studies, curriculum?

5th and 6th grade level

by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
swim-mom72
by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Beautiful Feet has some great selections for that time period. Including some very well done study guides. Some of our favorites are the Genevieve Foster books, George Washington's World and The World of Columbus and Sons.

Some wonderful read alouds that we enjoyed were Old Yeller, Turn Homeward Hannalee, By the Great Horned Spoon and The Wright Brothers.

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Sep. 12, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Go to Sonlight's website and check out their book lists for  American History, 2 year for 4th and 5th I think it is. (The advanced reading one.)

We are using All American History by Bright Ideas Press. It comes in 2 books, for 2 years of American History. http://brightideaspress.com/?p=2379

There was another I was looking at before I chose AAH. It was through Veritas Press. http://www.veritaspress.com/products.asp?dept=1049

You could also use http://librivox.org/this-country-of-ours-part-1-by-he-marshall/  (this comes in a book format from Amazon as well.)

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Sep. 12, 2011 at 10:24 PM

PS Sorry I should have said we're doing 4th grade but those will easily work for 5th and 6th I believe. (AAH is actually a 5th-12th book I think.)

oredeb
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 11:19 AM

thanks swimmom! i like beautiful feet, always wanted to try it

thanks losttheslipper, im gona look at the 'all american history, its by bright ideas, i think thats the place that does the mystery of history which we are done with (they done have the american history made yet so have to look at something else) i like veritas stuff, i will look there also and the rest!! thanks!!!

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:26 AM

Here  is a awesome series of free videos by Judge Napolitano on the History of American Freedom, and another set on The Constitution

I also found it very interesting taking old dictionaries (from the 1800s) that are available for free on line, and comparing them with newer ones to study the Constitution which can be found free on line also.. Here is a website with that information, and the links to the free items I mentioned: Understanding The Welfare Clause

There is a book by Justice Joseph Story titled, A Familiar Exposition Of The Constitution Of The United States,  (available on Amazon) Justice Story was born 3 years after the Declaration Of Independence, his father fought in the Revolution, and he was Justice of the Supreme Court from 1811 to 1845.  He takes the Constitution clause by clause, and explains its meaning and the history behind it. 

It has been used as a school text book. It is very detailed, and slow reading...I am enjoying the book immensely,  but am not sure everyone would find it so.  This book has taught me things I was never taught in school.

oredeb
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:29 AM

thanks romacox, excellent ideas!!!

flhobbs
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:33 PM

we are reading this

http://www.amazon.com/My-Name-America-Sullivan-Transcontinental/dp/0439049946

it is the diary of a teen who goes to work with his father along the transcontinental railroad. It talks about Native American troubles, his fathers memory of the cival war, crossing paths with the oregon trail, gives great discriptions of the culture and technology used then, etc. It's been pretty interesting and a quick read.

Falen

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)