Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So far, the only thing I have not enjoyed about homeschooling is...

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 7:47 PM
  • 12 Replies

Grocery shopping with all three! 

In the past I would do the shopping after I dropped the older two off and just had the little one.  Some days are better than others. Not today!! :)

by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2011 at 8:21 PM

How old are your kids?

Mom71307
by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Heh, I do it on Sat morning while my husband has his time with the kids!

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Give them school-related worksheets to keep them busy. (i.e. find the unit price of ________________, unit price of ___________________, or, if you are doing a foreign language tell them to find the price of (This fruit in the language)

DS is 8, while I'm in produce I'll send him to the deli counter  (I can see it from where I am in produce) to wait in line and ask for stuff while I'm picking out fruit and veggies. Or if we're in an aisle with spices or something I need I ask him to help me look for it. Keeps him pretty busy.

oredeb
by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 10:24 PM

awwww, grocery store manners, part of homeschooling!

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I only have 2 and I stuggle at times ( they are 2 years and 10 months )

Since I've started coupon, I often try to shop on Saturday evenings when dh can sit home with the kids. 

SCmomof3girls
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 11:24 AM
I too wait for DH to be home. Most of the time he will keep all 3 and sometimes one of the older girls goes with me. I make them their own list and it's specific. Like-16 oz of Kroger brand ketchup instead of just ketchup like on my list. They also have to add up their list so I break it up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Dh used to not come home for months at a time (he's a sailor in the navy) so waiting for him to get groceries was impractical... so I have a collection of other solutions:

~ go early... kids (and moms) have more energy right after breakfast than they do at 3:30, so it's easier to focus on the task and not get antsy and bored

~ explain the expectations... I've noticed that a lot of kids act out their discomfort in unfamiliar surroundings and I believe it is because they genuinely do not know how to behave, but accurately perceive that there are distinct rules, letting them know what they are (and pointing out the ones you missed when it becomes obvious) can really help set the stage for cooperative behaviour

~ order online and get them delivered (many locations offer this service for free)

~ ask a friend to shop for you, or swap babysitting for each other for everyone's shopping... you probably know at least three other families who have as many struggles shopping as you do

~ assign specific tasks to each child, based on what they can reasonably be expected to handle: one coupon holder, one produce bag monitor, one calculator user, one 'run ahead/back and get' kid, one produce counter/bagger... if they're similar ages, they can take turns with the jobs.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2011 at 12:13 PM

fighting with my strong willed six year old.Sometimes, I'm so tired I just want to ship him off to public!

LindaClement
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Try not fighting.

Not 'giving in' exactly... just start from a place of wondering (out loud) why he wants what he wants... explore the ideas with him, so he can fully express (and possibly discover that he doesn't care that much about) his desires.

It may be nothing more than his way of asserting his growing selfness.

Quoting mem82:

fighting with my strong willed six year old.Sometimes, I'm so tired I just want to ship him off to public!

Lynette
by Member on Sep. 13, 2011 at 2:08 PM

lol, we need to grocery shop too.  But I am very tired(in first tri for my 4th baby).  Right now it takes all the energy I have to just do school & get them their 3 meals

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)