Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How frugal are you with homeschooling?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:51 AM
  • 23 Replies

how do you save money on homeschooling or maybe you dont!

if you do, what do you do?

any frugal homeschool ideas

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:46 PM
I shop around for books and curriculum. Amazon is awesome.

Library! I couldn't create a living books curric without it! Can you imagine?

Repurposing! I have so much that has accumulated throughout the years that now gets a new life.

I've spent entirely too much, it's our first year. But if I hadn't done those things we couldn't afford it. Next year should be waaaay cheaper.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maridel
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:07 PM

I try to buy everything used, and used books i won't pay more than half of the retail price for. I've been able to find almost ALL of our curriculum through used curriculum swaps. So I don't homeschool for free but I homeschool for half price ;) lol

sew4fun
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:30 PM

I do not buy new unless it is under $15 and a great deal for that price. I get alot of things online for free. I use CM alot to meet people and bounce ideas and resources off of one another. I have meet really great ladies here, two of them have helped me learn to spend next to NO money on HS stuff ( just paper and ink)

saadamarie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:34 PM
Were doing pre k so I just got a work book supplies. Paper crayons and things like that!
bdflykisses
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 2:26 AM
Freecycle, craigslist, repurposing, yard sales, and the internet. We spend close to nothing for 3 kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 9:21 AM

This year, it's super easy, since we aren't "doing school" this year.  I spent $126 on the Getting to Know the World's Greatest artists/composers/scientist books.  I'm going to spend $35 on another set from Meet the Masters.  Other than that, we get some stuff free through their Options program (like our French program) and we use the library a lot. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 9:33 AM

I print as much as I can for free off the web. We also upgraded to a laser printer that saves us a ton on ink. I get workbooks and videos, too.

FlyHippie
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:51 AM

I don't. I spend a holy fortune on homeschooling! LOL!

I'm all about amazon....half price books (maybe that's a TX thing, though?) and that's it. Other than that, I'm the mom that if he shows one spark of interest, then it is THERE for him to learn, experience or do.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Used books on Amazon is one thing I do.  I also find a lot of experiments and idea's online for science projects using normal household items, and then I add free worksheets I find online often to the projects that go along with that subject we're covering.  I re-use a lot of the stuff the older children go through for their younger siblings.  Through the years I have built up enough extra supplies that I've got them sorted into colored bins and only I'm allowed to distribute them, so there's less waste.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 6:16 PM

We have HPB here in Ohio, too!

Quoting FlyHippie:

I don't. I spend a holy fortune on homeschooling! LOL!

I'm all about amazon....half price books (maybe that's a TX thing, though?) and that's it. Other than that, I'm the mom that if he shows one spark of interest, then it is THERE for him to learn, experience or do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)